Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broadheads & test post

Old 04-25-2009, 05:24 AM

Default Broadheads & test post

Folks,

Checking to see if my posts are making it to the forum - or if my inability to see them is on my end. Please, just a short reply on the forum that this showed up (if you can't read this, then don't).

Now, for the serious part. When I bow hunted w/a compound 20 yrs ago (I know... that's sooo last millenium), the broadheads I used were 125grtriple blade chisel point. I shot a 60lb bow at around 220fps. Effective with proper shot placement. Now... I know that the subject of broadheads is as contentious as 30 cal. bullets for deer!!! But I'm looking for advice none the less.

I hope to shoot an Xbow around 330fps using carbon arrows. Shots won't be farther than 30yds (self imposed limit). I passed up more shots than I have ever taken, so I plan to put ethics above all else.

Folks, your suggestions on broadheads.

If I can get this post to go through properly, I'll start some spirited discussion on other elements of the sport (AND, let me appologize for re-plowing what I'm sure is already fertile ground... I'm new here).

Mike
Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broadheads & test post

Its all where you place the head in the animal, shucks we killed tons of deer with 40# recurves and bear/bodkin points I personnally like mech. as they fly very well.
RC
Old 04-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok, fixed BH's slicks-montec's-snuffer & half dz. others. mech. NAP's- Rocketts half dz. others also
Old 04-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like Slick Trick mags. 100 grs in my under 320 fps bows, 125 grs in faster bow. That are low profile and 4 bladed ( which prevents planing), have given me great accuracy and terminal performance. Have used others, came back to slicks.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:23 PM

Hav'nt triedthe Reign yet butlooks promising. They have a video on them at ephunting.com
Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot NAP hellrazors. They're sharp as hell and fly beautifully. I've shaved vanes off of other bolts from shooting them too close to each other while sighting in. Luckily the blades didn't hit the back of the other broadhead. Speaking of which I still need to get those fletched. They seem durable too. I missed hitting a doe only because as I looked through the scope I thought I had a clear shot but nicked a small twig and the bolt went into the ground. I didn't find it under the snow for a couple days but when I did it was fine. No dings, no chips, no bends. I humored buying new brodheads this year but then I thought, "What the hell for? These are great!"
Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 PM

I killed a bunch of deer with Muzzys before I bought a faster CB and then had some accuracy problems. So I scratched my itched for mechs with the G5 Tekan Two's. They do what they are supposed to had no problems with them. But have had the itch lately to go simple again and am thinking of trying the slicks that some of my good friends talk about alot.