Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Equinox or Vortex?

Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Spike

Default Equinox or Vortex?

What one do you guys think is better and why?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Equinox or Vortex?

Vortex.......Just all a round awsome CB.....
Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vortex. Enox/Emax is hard on you, servings, arrows, targets.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess that all depends on what you intend to hunt. If elephants are on your agenda......
Seriously, I found the Equinox much harder to cock, even though it's only 25 lbs heavier draw pull. Harder trigger, harsher shot (more vibration) and harder on serving, arrows and targets. I like to shoot a lot, but cocking it more than half dozen times became a chore.
So, I compromised: Phoenix for fun and light hunting, Vortex for my everyday bow. It's much easier to cock being an inch shorter. I'm getting 318 fps with 405 grn arrows and Flemish string. The Equinox only did about 7-10 fps more with factory sting. Now worth the hassle in my book.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vortex is the best buy of the 2. reasons are its easier to cock has longer string serving life is abit shorter a tad less weight for all purposes. will20 fps bea deciding factor for $125 more for an equinox. i think you would be well satisfied with a Vortex but i am not you & the equinox is a great Bow!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Spike

noobie questions whats a servering, or serving life?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Serving is the 'thread' that is wound around the bowsting at the middle and the ends to protect the strands of the bowsting from fraying.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Spike

ok, still kinda stuck on what to buy, i can get a brand new vortex with rs varizone package and sling for 940 or a 2-3 month old used exomax(which is a equinox just without a thumb hole) with varizone package, strap and a hard case 800
Old 12-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Spike

I haven't found a lot of difference between my Equinox and the Y-25 both servings seem to get chewed up pretty quick so I would go with the power 225 it would be nice if there was something you could put on for a serving that would last but if you want to play you got to do some reserving
Old 12-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stoop
Now that I've hunted with the Lumizone for a couple of years, not sure I'd go that way again. It's a great scope but it's big. Adds too much weight to the bow. If I did it again, I may have gone with varizone. Lighted reticule has never been used so far. On the other hand, the Hawke crossbow scopes look pretty impressive.
If you can pull the Equinox, and it's $140 less, that may be the way to go. One question I would want answered is if the 'lifetime' warranty transfers on the used bow. I'd want to hear that from Excal.

Quick Reply: Equinox or Vortex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.