Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Equinox or Vortex?

Old 12-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Equinox or Vortex?

One question I would want answered is if the 'lifetime' warranty transfers on the used bow. I'd want to hear that from Excal.
[740] 483-2312
Old 12-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stoop, heres a serving jig you can make pretty cheap. Use wood glue and screws.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Stoop, heres a serving jig you can make pretty cheap. Use wood glue and screws.

so you just tighten the nut on one end, till the string is nice and tight?or do you just twist the hook? and if so wouldn't that make the string twist around allot?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

so you just tighten the nut on one end, till the string is nice and tight?or do you just twist the hook? and if so wouldn't that make the string twist around allot?
Stoop, you need to get some hands on experience w/ some of this stuff.
It stretches strings.
Strings need to be tight to be reserved properly.
If you can't envision sticking a screw driver in the hook while you crank on the nut w/ a wrench, you may just want to get someone to reserve your strings.
Trust me, it gets a lot more complicated than stretching the string.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

on the back of Excals catalog it says warranted for a period of 5 yrs from date of purchase. then it goes on to say after that period its warranty at the discretion of Excalsfor the lifetime of original owner. i own a vixen thats 10 yrs old i am willing to bet that if something was to go wrong and i didn't cause it. excal (Dan Miller) will warranty it! only Bow that is #'ed is their Y25 as its only 1000 made. all the rest have no serial # on them.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:31 AM

I had a Vortex for a very short while and the only reason I didn't like it was the shorter stock. I had gotten use to the longer stock of the Phoenix (no thumbhole) so I ended up with a Exocet 200. Fits me perfect, has a little more oomph than the Phoenix and not as hard on you as the 225 lb models. But I'm also a believer in pricing, too and might would have to give serious thought to the package you mentioned that was cheaper in price but no way cheaper in quality. As far as warranty goes, I own and have owned several Excalibur models and I have never been the original owner to any of them. I once emailed Excalibur about warranty and their reply was, "if we made it then we warrant it". You can't beat that and I've never had any problems with warranty. The only issues I've ever had was a couple of minor parts missing from a used crossbow (the sight mounting backet on the yoke that used to be screwed in so you could change which side to mount your optics on and that is now made into the yoke on both sides) and some stirrup bolts. As far as any major workmanship defects on stock, trigger or limbs.....nada.

While it may be true about the 225 models being harder on serving and strings, remember you don't have to run to a pro shop to change strings. You can do it yourself anytime and anywhere with their limb stringer as long as you have the strength to do it. Of course the limb stringer utilized with the cocking rope will reduce the effort to pull back by about 50%.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with Excalibur.