Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Point of using a cross bow.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Point of using a cross bow.

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

I think it is fun, different, legal and challenging.
This has been a great thread, and also a nice view in to the evolution of the inevitable. It seems crossbows are quickly making their mark in the archery world, resuming the position they should never have left.
I think recurves, crossbows and compounds all have their place,
throwing arrows and tradingfresh meat for a close encounter.
very well said...
Old 12-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Default RE: Point of using a cross bow.

I was given permission to hunt a 200 + - property for free but was told I could only use a bow. The property was right next to where I work so this meant I could hunt every day if I wanted. I had a shoulder injury a few years back and recently dislocated it again filling a feeder. My old Martin was to remain in the case. SO, I bought a Horton 175 RealTree and learned to hit a target 35 yards out. Moved a feeder onto the property and bought a portable blind and set it up.
Big learning curve form vertical bow hunting ! Holding onto a heavy crossbow for several hours was not easy and my arms ached in the morning when I got out of bed. I made up a bipod rest and strap arrangement that helped alot. SO far this season I have scored a 4 pt and a doe. The buck was a wild guess shot that paced 47 yards. The arrow still passed thru and stuck in the ground. The doe was a 20 yard shot and the arrow passed thru also. Both jumped the string when I fired. Very loud discharge and I have added all the vibration isolators and gizmo's . I love to hunt and live to hunt. I get to hunt a 2500 ac ranch to cull does and use a 30.06 but the shots are usually 80 yards. I am hooked on the crossbow now and like the idea of having to get close to the animal. I'm building a ground blind to set up for ferral pigs at another ranch I get to hunt. Setting it up for the use of a crossbow at 30 yards. Can't wait till I get to go.