Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

help with arrow weights

Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Default help with arrow weights

I'm new to the forum, but I've had a barnett revolution for a couple years and I want you guys' opinion on proper arrow weight. In the instructions barnett says basically use our arrows because they are the proper weight/spine or your bow will explode. Well it came with 4 of their bolts and 1 never flew right, I lost one small game hunting, so I had to buy some other brands (nobody sells the barnett locally). I got to weighing them today and found that the barnett with broadhead comes to 475 gr (the instructions say arrows should weigh "about" 475), carbon express which I had been using were about 450 gr, and some Strykers (which shoot very well)that I just aquired for a very good price come to 434 gr. So between the Stryker and Barnett we're talking a 9% difference in weight. Am I flirting with disaster here, or worrying unnecessarily? I don't shoot it a lot except a few dozen times sighting in through the hunting season. How many problems have you heard of with people cracking limbs etc. by using too light of a broadhead/arrow combination? 41 grs doesnt seem like much difference to me, but maybe I'm ignorant. I know there are much lighter arrows out there, but I don't plan on using those. Just not fond of getting rid of the arrows I have @$5 apeice
Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help with arrow weights

ok, ok, what weight field pts & BH's are you using ?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 AM

I'm using 125 gr fp/bh
Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure the arrows meet the minimum weight requirement of the bow. Shooting lighter arrows can put a strain on string and limbs, albeit 25 grains likely won't not matter IMO. I have found that 9% in weight makes less difference than the arrow's weight forward ratio (google FOC). If the two arrows have relatively same FOC they will fly much the same although the lighter arrow will likely hit higher (flatter trajectory); but by an amount which may not matter at 20 yards. That said, I try to keep the weight of my arrows relatively the same by using one brand/weight...certainly my hunting arrows, to which the bow is zeroed.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

do you have enough 450 gr carbon express arrows ? the key word from Barnett says about!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats as low as i would go! 450 grs. i reckon all your arrows have the front insert glued in ? if not and you have some you haven't put together yet. you can do the awshucks instant weight gain trick. install 1/2" to 1" 8/32 set screws inrear of insert and glue it. 1/2" is 12 grs 3/4" should weigh 18 grs and 1" 24 grs which would be 474! plus maybe 1 gr glue wt. 475
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 AM

yes for hunting i definitely don't mix brands. I just sighted in for the Strykers because I have more of them than anything, and they shoot well. The stryker are also the most "nose heavy" arrows and I found I had to bring the sights up quite a bit. I only have 2 or 3 of the other brands left each. As much as I've been trying to research, there isn't a "minimum" weight for the barnett published. After a lot of digging I was able to find "about 475 gr" recommended. I guess my question is what qualifies as "about"? Within 50gr, 25gr, 10gr? Do I throw another $70 into ordering a dozen barnett arrows online because of a 41gr difference or just shoot the thing and don't worry about it? Am I shortening component life significantly or are we talking 1200 shots vs 1100 shots til failure? I'm sure there are thousands of people that just go buy 22" bolts and never have read the instructions or worry about the weight. Just wondering if this is as dire as the warnings sound, or is it more like "don't stalk with your bow loaded," because some idiot might try a 300gr arrow?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 AM

yes all arrows are already assembled
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

don't go lower than 450 grs and if something ever happens to said equipment![][&o]do the honorable thing and lie out your human to Barnett saying it was within their weight limits (about) for warranty work
Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bnett: 1-800-237-4507 press 2.

Min weight on Rev 425 gr. quote: "No Lower!!" Current weights being shipped w/ bows 443 gr +/- a few.

The reason the Strykers are shooting good is they have a ton of FOC compared to bnetts. I'd try them w/ 100 gr bheads w/ an inch of 8-32 tpi screwed in nock w/ loc tite if you have threaded nocks on the Stryker arrows. same over all weight, but not so "nose heavy". Ask cossack how he likes that nose heavy, lol.

Quick Reply: help with arrow weights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.