Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

X-Bow limb adjustment ??'s

Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 AM

Default X-Bow limb adjustment ??'s

I picked up a PSE Viper (cheap), cause I had shoulder surgery recently and can't use my recurve. But I had to back off the limb screws some to even pull the damn thing back to cock it. Now I have done this to many bows and am fairly accurate when backing off limb screws, but ever since doing this, the flight of the bolts have been "unpredictable". I mean not hitting TWO targets stacked at 10 yards some times! Then the next one might hit right where it's supposed to.
I am unfamiliar with cross bows, have I created this problem by lowering the pull weight of the limbs? Or could this bow just be a P.O.S.?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: X-Bow limb adjustment ??'s

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I picked up a PSE Viper (cheap), cause I had shoulder surgery recently and can't use my recurve. But I had to back off the limb screws some to even pull the damn thing back to cock it. Now I have done this to many bows and am fairly accurate when backing off limb screws, but ever since doing this, the flight of the bolts have been "unpredictable". I mean not hitting TWO targets stacked at 10 yards some times! Then the next one might hit right where it's supposed to.
I am unfamiliar with cross bows, have I created this problem by lowering the pull weight of the limbs? Or could this bow just be a P.O.S.?
Think that's a no-no. I'd tighten em back up. I set up a PSE for a guy and other than the D-A-R his had which was a pos like the Horton's have, it shot very well, tennis ball groups at 30 yds.

Are you using a rope cocker? Sounds like you may not be centering the string, if that's not it try different arrows. Once you get it dialed in w/ field points, then try bheads. sometimes when you go to bheads, the fun starts all over again, lol.

Edited to add: The rope cocker you appear not to be using also cuts the effort to cock in half, btw. If you keep hand cocking, mark the string at rest on each side of the rail w/ white out.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 AM

Came with a string cocker and it didn't seem to help. Course, I've never used one before either.I will crank the limbs back down and maybe modify the cocker to work better (seems to be too long).
So marking the string with white out will show how far off of center it is at full draw? Never thought that might be the problem. Thanking you . . .
Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Agree with aw...
Crossbows are not designed to have their limbs "adjusted" ! The limb to riser fastener is overly long like a vertiacl bow.
You could easilly have that thing blow up in your face, because there is only a coupla threads holding the limbs in place now that they have been adjusted. With the load on the limbs and hold down fastenersonce cocked...look out!

Yea, tighten'em back up.

Properly used the rope cocker should make a big difference in the effort to cock the bow.
You might need to shorten the rope or get new rope to make it longer to fit "you" better.

Mike
Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I adj my rope cockers so they stay on bow w/ string drawn back 2-3". Some bows like the Hortons i've shot, the rope worked best w/ hooks upside down to not hit safety prematurely. can't recall wehre safety is on PSE.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Well, sincew first posting this ? . . . I have gooten an education!
I found a couple places that show you how to use a string cocker. Man do I feel stupid! I was doing it all wrong. (That's what my wife said!)
So.. alll is tight, and I'm cocked and ready! Shooting much better.
Practice in the back yard became "interesting" to say the least. Cause when the bolt didn't hit, it not only put a hoile in my Cedar fence, but there is a school playground right accross the alley!

Yes, I waited for the kids to leave before pulling the trigger.

Thanks all and good hunting!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you back out CB's limbs bolts you cause them to flex diff directions and they can shear! that may cause a personal injury. they are meant to be tight in their threaded limb bolt pocket.[:-]