Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I got a new scope

Old 06-07-2008, 12:43 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default I got a new scope

I got kind of tired withmy red dot scope and ordered a lumi zone, I was kind of surprised at its size and weight, it doesnt look quite as big as it actually is in the pictures I've seen and its quite a bit heavier than I expected, but overall I like it and I think it'll be a big improvement
I was kind of concerned that it would be too high to get a comfortable sightalignment with the stock but I got it mounted and it turned out to be fine, hopefully I'll get some time to actually shoot with it tomorrow...

I also ran across a yardage pro sport 450 range finder in like new condition for $80 and couldnt pass it up, I've used ranged findershere and thereand this one is pretty typical of the onesI've used,supposedly the 450 isgood to 1000 yards butrealistically its good to about 200-300 yards then you start needing tri-pod to get a steady hold and/or a target the size of a semi in order for the laser to lock on... I dont see it picking up a ground hog at 500 yards but it'll still work good for most of the situations I'll use it for
Old 06-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Default RE: I got a new scope

I really like my Lumi-zone but no doubt it is bigger & heavier than most crossbow scopes.I think it's light gathering 40 mm optics make a big difference and to me it is really economically priced among the quality scopes availbable for crossbows.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

With the Lumi-zone and 450 you have the tools you need to be precise, I would look in to the rangefinder mount if I were you. They make an excellent combination.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the L-Z and the Y-P you have what it takes,I have both and couldn't be happier-the yardage pro is touchy with twigs and limbs but you leard to work around that.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My LZ and Cyclone give me just 6'' of trajectory loss at 40 yards. NS! Yes it's a bit heavier, but clearer and very precise, not even close in comparison to the Truglo that coame with the bow.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cossack
Yes it's a bit heavier, but clearer and very precise, not even close in comparison to the Truglo that coame with the bow.
man, you got that right...

I took it out for a few shots tonight right before dark(and between thunderstorms) and got about 8 shots off, sight in only took a couple shots(it was only about 2" off to the right and 2" high),I set the dial at 275fps and it put the arrow in the same hole from 20 to 30 yards(thats all I had time to test),but the precision compared to that red dot is night and day, the dots on my target are 2" dia and where the red dot completely covered them the crosshairs of the lumi zone made a neat little "X" right in the center, my main idea with the red dot was to have faster target acquisition(which is kind of unneeded anyway) but I cant believe now I had beencontent with thatred dot being good enough, I should have gotten one of these lumi zones right from the start....

ORIGINAL: Cossack

My LZ and Cyclone give me just 6'' of trajectory loss at 40 yards. NS!
wow, thats pretty good... mine shoots fairly flat out to my sight in point of 25 yards with there only being an inch or two drop, after that it drops exactly 4" every 5 yards back to 40 yards, so being sighted in at 25 yardsit shot 12" low at 40 yards, I havent messed around much beyond that distance