Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Parker Cyclone quick review

Old 05-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Parker Cyclone quick review

Hi All:
OK, I only got in two of these (they are trickle shipping them) and one was sold already so I went to set it up for the customer. He came by yesterday to do an initial check out and a few shots and is picking it up later so it gave me a few minutes to do some testing while I got it ready.
OK, first thing, it is dead easy to assemble. You bolt the stock to the rail...done. No cable guide, no align this tube with this hole and push and prod...done. That was cool. It also breaks down into this box that is about half the size a normal crossbow comes in. I will not show picks of the packing since that is obviously not done yet...it was basicly wrapped in this brown soft paper packing...well packed, but I get the impression this is a "get them out the door now!" temporary packing. The quiver mount is very cool (wrong place though) and I think it will work on a DS...More coming back into stock, so I will let you know.
Well, I did a quick sight in and got it roughly on target and my customer shows up. So I go thru the "make sure you pull the handles back towards you or you will roll the hooks over and scratch the camo" speach...showed him how to do it and half way up his first pull he rolls the hooks and scratches the camo He was cool about it ("its gonna get scratched anyway") but this is going to be an issue. It is all in technique and he learned after the first time but there are gonna be some pretty ticked people who just paid $700.00 for a bow and scratch it the first time.
ANYway...so I go thru the safety deals and he goes to shoot and....being a short, barrel chested guy...he tucks up the adjustable stock fairly short so it is comfortable and....he cant see thru the scope because there is not enough eye relief. Again, I KNEW this was gonna be an issue. So he slides back the stock to where he can see and now the bow is uncomfortable. Now, here is a personal note: I am fairly long armed, but that bow is VERY comfy with the stock in a short setting and tucked up tight to you...all we need is to move the scope forward....(more on that at the end of this thread)
So after a few shots and some readjustments he loves the bow and is coming back today...
Now onto the fun part...
First thing I did was put on a set of 1" forward weaver scope rings (these are a POS and WAY too much money for what you get!!!) Low and behold I HAVE EYE RELIEF!!! However, that is with their scope ( a Truglo) No way is a Lumizone or any other long scope working on this thing. Next I went out to do some testing:
Accuracy...it is a tack driver...same hole all day long at 20 yrds. Speed: 348fps with the factory 422gr arrows...cool!! As expected, it is stable and comfortable and shoulders very well (once you move the scope forward) and the adjustable stock is a must to cock it with that long 15" draw. Cocking it does take some effort to control the rope and not roll...also..LUBE THR ROLLERS AND MAKE SURE THEY SPIN FREE!!!! If they are sticky at all, they drag on the rail and scratch the camo. Noise: Well, there is an obnoxious "ting" from the bolt clip. A bit of self adheasive felt took care of most of that...but here is the cool part....89.7db!!!! It is almost in Desert Stryker noise range! The production models are WAY quieter than the prototype I shot at ATA. All in all, this is a great little bow, but it has a couple of agrivations that need to be addressed.
NOW...by mid next week I will have the scope mount solution...I will be including this free with any of the bows I sell and of course it will be available to anyone else who buys theirs elsewhere....I will keep you posted on that little gem when it comes back from being plated
Wyvern

Old 05-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Parker Cyclone quick review

Quiver mount

Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Looks great. Thanks for the review.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me qualify myself here.... I'm not a crossbow hunter... but I'm an archery tech by profession in a state that allows crossbows.... so I'm pretty familiar and have shot just about all of them and taken them apart and messed with them and what not.

I think your review is pretty spot on Wyvern.... I noticed the same issue with the pulleys rolling/sliding due to the acuteness of the angle... you definately have to pull back and up... not just up. Our shooting is done is what might as well be a cave.... and everything is loud in there... this bow sounded about normal to me.... not super loud... not overwhelmingly quiet for what it is.

Feel wise... I am pretty tall... and it came to the shoulder like a bird gun compared to other models (and it looks like a Mossberg 500 to me anyway). Its balanced exceptionally well.

I actually like the packaging that they are sending, because I can take it and put all of it directly in the cardboard recycling pile. Those huge blocks of polystyrene have always been a gripe of mine... I'm rather of the opinion that any company that hinges itself on natural resources should have natural preservation in mind...if McDonalds can use cardboard containers on Big Macs... Parker can use cardboard insulation on crossbows.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

The rollover is an issue... I only got in two of the ones I have on order and sold both. Both customers were standing infront of me and I, in detail, explained the technique to cock the bow and both still rolled over the first time. The hooks need to be re-designed.

The bow is well packed, dont get me wrong, and I agree, it is easier to get rid of, it just has a less "profesional" look to it than their other bows to me...I am fine if they stay with what the did...it is better packed than another crossbow company I can think of....

Wyvern
Old 06-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rollover is mitigated substantially by doing the following:
1) place the cocker string hooks with the hook opening facing down (unlike that for Excaliber).
2) brace back of bow with leg that's in stirrup, thereby pushing bow out
3) Shorten cocker string by about 2", helps pull up and back
4) pull back (toward toe of stock) while pulling up.
Doing these I had only one rollover...the first one.