Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

My First Hunt

Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 PM

Default My First Hunt

Well it it did not go quiteas planned...sort of. But it was an awful lot of fun.

IGot out in the field around 4am. Waited for the first Gobble and actually had quite a few by sun up. I have hunted Turkeys with shotgun only. I worked this1 tom for about 2 hrs and they were just to wiley. They all stayed clear. Finally I got a peak at one but he was ~60 yds out. He would not come any closer. I had previously sighted my bow in at 40 yards but not 60. Anyway, in the end I took a calculated shot and aimed a bit above the tom figuring the arrow would drop off, well it really did not, it soared above the birds back by about the distance I aimed. The bird bolted as expected. I really enjoyed my first hunt. I actually feel I can take a longer shot with the bow then the gun.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My First Hunt

I admire you takeing that shot,dont know if I coulda done it,my old curve
can do good out to about 35/40 but after that this old man is a little
shakey like to keep it where I can do the animal justice!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 AM

Coyote,
Well I sat and debated the shot as this Tom walked along the Hill side. It is late in the season and they are pretty cautious. I will be comfortable with a 50 yard shot. The Turkey Terror Broadhead would have taken it out hadI hit it.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 AM

Thishomemade decoy got me two gobblers this season. I call him "Bucket Bird". BB is made from a 5-gallon flat black bucket. I attached a large binder clip to the outside bottom in to which went the dried tail in a fanning position. Oneither side toward the open end went two more large binder clips in to which went the dried wings in the strutting position. Across the diameter of the open end went a 2X4 that was crudely shaped into a head and appropriately painted. It was notched to slip over the bucket's rim and a nail used to hold it in place. BB was then balanced on a stake to get him 10-12" off the ground. A "blanket" of dried skin withfeathers from the back of a previous kill rested between the head and tail on BB (optional). (I use borax to dry everything.) I placed a foam-type hen decoy on a stake about 6-8' in front of BB and positioned him so that the incoming gobbler(s) would see him all fanned outfrom behind. Believe-it-or-not, my first tom came running across a 10 acre field as fast as his legs could carry him.With thesecond gobbler, a jake camerunning infirst and literally stomped the hen in the ground. He was quickly followed by two toms that tried to bully BB. The one I took was 21# with a10.5" beard. This was from 25 yards with my 11 gauge smoothbore.The convenient thing about BB is that all parts fit into the bucket for easy transportation to your set up spot. By-the-way, both of my set up spots were probably 250-300 yards from the roosting gobblers in a grassy field so that BB could be seen from a distance. In calling, I answered their early morning gobbles with a shaker gobble tube. I slowly added hen yelps with different calls to make it sound like this gobbler had 2-3 ladies with him. I'd break into my own yelping with single and double gobbles as if there was a party going on and the real gobblers were missing it. Once they flew down, I'd only gobble when they did so that I knew where they were. After deciding to come on in, they closed the distance very quickly from where I last heard them gobble until they were right on top of me. I've only had my Parker crossbow a month or so, butI'm going to use it next year as well as during the upcoming deer season. What a blast!! Tom
Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your post said 60 yards,to each his own.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know about penatration on turkey at 60 yards but I wouldnt shoot a deer at that range for fear of wounding loss.
I am certainly not one to judge but thats to far for me.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 PM

Howdy again all,
As a first time bow hunter I have tons more to learn for sure. I am anextremelyresponsible hunter. I hate the thought of a wound and limp away proposition. The shot I took was ~ 60 yds. The arrow still had good velocity. Would I do that again, probably not. I mostly posted that as I was impressed with the Parker bow.Would I try a 40-50 yarder, I would think so. Of course distance estimates are not easy across a small gully. You can be easily off+/- 5 yards.

I do appreciate all your guys input. I am not offended by your guys feedback in fact I learn from it. I have hunted for 25 years with a shotgun for all upland game birds. I only hunt animals with feathers.I think we all want the 20 yard perfect shot all the time. They just do not happen often, if at all.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

No offence intended my friend,We all should hunt within our own personal ethic's and range limits,thats why I said that maybe there would be plenty enough KE to down a turkey at that range and if I was proficent at shooting that distance I would take that same shot as well.
I say if the bow can do it and the shooter cand ethicly do it then go for it brother,I would
Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Thanks Scott,
And I agree. For me now I am learning the range and would most likely not attempt a shot of that distance again. I think a solid 40, maybe 50 is my comfort zone at this point. I sighted the Parker in at 45 yards and it is very accurate. I can hit the black dot 3 out of 3 on the Block with standard tips. Now I have not yet done that with a Broadhead so I felt for resons for my personal proficiency I would keep them within the max sighted range of 45. At 45 yards that arrow drives 50 % of the length of the arrow so KE should be enough to knock down a Turkey. For large game I seriously doubt it. Like I stated, I only hunt Turkeys with the bow, the rest of my hunting is upland game birds like Dove, quail, pigeons. I duck hunt on and off. My friend is trying to get me to Pig hunt with the Bow.......

Jeff
Old 05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have called in turkeys to the gun for friends and family members but never killed one myself but I would love to especialy with the Equinox.
I have been told that if I try waterfowl and upland bird hunting I will be hooked,I cant wait to get hooked.Hog hunting is something I enjoy,good luck and be careful,they are foul tempered critters that have no respect for you whatsoever.

Quick Reply: My First Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.