Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

? for hub-style blind users

Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM
KLV

Default ? for hub-style blind users

Since Wyoming is now allowing cocking devices to be used during the archery season, my Dad has been getting geared up. He purchased an Ameristep hub-style blind at Cabela's and set it up in the yard. That night the wind blew about 20-25 mph and the next morning he found the aluminum hubs had been torn like some one would tear a piece of cardboard.

He took the blind back and exchanged it for an Eastman that promptly had the poles break in similar winds and rip two holes in the blind the size of basketballs.

Also,he guides hunters and the outfitter he works for uses Double Bull blinds and they go through a lot of broken poles, so he doesn't think they are really worth the $$ they are asking. As well, he's retired and on a limited budget and would like to spend the lion's share of his money on a good crossbow.

With all this in mind, and since I know virtually nothing about blinds, I was wondering if any of you folks use hub-style blinds and what your experiences have been with them? I realize a 25mph wind is not a gentle breeze, but it isn't exactly damaging wind either. We were told these blinds stand up to wind better than the spring steel type, but so far aren't sold. Are we expecting to much from these blinds? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ? for hub-style blind users

I have used Ameristep hub style blinds while pronghorn hunting in South Dakota in the wide open fields. I never had what happened to you, happen to me. If it is windy, make sure to have the ground stakes in, and the ties downs that attach to the hubs. This should have prevented anything like you explained from happening.
Just my 2cents.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? for hub-style blind users

I love election years! Those campaign signs w/ steel rod legs provide a multitude of uses. I try to help out by collecting them after they have assaulted my viewing forever and convert them to: portable rifle targets as is, new tent stakes for ground blinds, extra rods for extra racks in my smoker, ect. 25-30 mph winds is asking alot from any type of portable blind.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:21 PM
KLV

Default UL

Both times they were staked down with 9 inch tent stakes and the wind pulled some of them out of the ground and folded the blinds in on themselves.. That's why we wondered if we were pushing our luck or if better stakes would cure the problem. Cabela's is 5 hours away and it's fortunate we need to go down this weekend or trial and error and returning the blinds would be expensive. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:44 AM

Default RE: UL

Are you leaving them set up all the time?
Just take down all the sides & not the top...
I have had adouble bull for 5/6 years both the Matrix 360 & the T-5
They have stood up to 45/50 + MPH winds in WI & MN
I did break a rod in MI one year when a friend left it up & it snowed6" + overnight
The mice chewed the %&$# out of my matrix while in my garage over the winter & I have torn the corner pocket for the second time! Just as I am getting ready to send it in for repair I find out they sold the company to Primos...
I am sure I can have it fixed but not in time for this years turkey seasons, this is the third time I have had trouble with this Matrix. Made in China, not like my T-5 that was madein the US.
I stillthink that the Double Bull is the best out there for the dollar ifit gets used hard.
Ihope that Primos will stand behind there products...
Old 05-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a hub style blind from Yukon Tracks and I love it.
Look'em up. Great prices.

xbowbarry
Old 05-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I've own several DB blinds. Had one set up and a big wind storm came in and blew it across a beaver pond. No damage. Had others set up and blown around and no damage. I've left them out for weeks and nothing was damaged. Nothing is unbrekable but I've really used the heck out of them and they held up to all I've dished out.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Had my ameristep set up since Oct. I just took it down this past saturday, it went thru high winds lots snow and its still ok. Only thing that happened colors got screwed up, do they make some kind of spray paint for these blinds. RICH