Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bolts

Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bolts

You don't want to hear MY opinion about calling bolts 'arrows' and crossbows 'bows'. I shall continue calling them by their historically accepted and accurate names. I can go on about this a good while, but I'd better leave it at that.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Well Arthur, I assume you will be getting into your horseless carriage when you drive somewhere today.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, Dnk, but I won't be soiling myself with silly word games either. They've always been called bolts up until about 10 years ago, when some crossbow propagandist decided to try and convince people that crossbows are bows. It smacks of dishonesty and it makes the movement look like we're trying to hide something. And THAT makes us look untrustworthy in the eyes of the anti's. So they're going to be even more anti. I've been on the other side, remember? I'm telling you how it comes across.

I firmly believe calling bolts 'arrows' is counterproductive and I won't participate.

Edit: If calling a bolt a bolt really bugs you guys, then I guess I'll just start calling them quarrels. A more specific term for fletched bolts.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was woundering where my lawn darts went Don.....Now I know.....
Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was a whole column dedicated to this in a past issue of HBM by Dan Hendricks. After reading it, I too, would have liked to have seen arrows called arrows and bolts called bolts. The main reason for this brough-ha is the anti xbow faction uses the terms to seperarate the two bows. After countless hours on the old computer, I've come to believe it doesn't matter, the true Kool-Aid drinkers aren't going to accept them anyhow. If we continue to have a quarrel amongst ourselves, I feel the need to bolt from this discussion faster than a speeding arrow, lol.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

The have limbs like bows, they have strings like bows, the string is held back with a metal claw like bows, they shoot shafts with points and feathers or fletchings like bows.
Arthur, I appologize for baiting you, I knew you could not answer my question about the horseless carriage without soiling yourself. You are by far one of most helpfull, intellegent, diverse, experienced archers in HNI but your attitude towards the exculsion of crossbows from archery goes to show you that you part of the past. The tide will come and wash all the dinasour bones away and the exclusion will become extinct. No offence whatsoever meant Arthur. I meant what I said about your positive character and I quite understand where you come from. Frankly, your friendliness towards crossbows has always suprised me with great pleasure considering your passion for traditional bows and your age group. Your knowledge and experience contributes to all archers(LOL, I am including us with crossbows which you apparently exclude).
Old 04-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

I wonder if the guy that started this post really cares what they are called? He just wanted some donated. Come on guys!
BBO
Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 PM

I really dont care what people choose to call them, I do know that I can get more disabled hunters in the field, and get them practice if I have the sharp stick with vanes that flys into animals. They get tore up rather fast and I am trying to help several with one crossbow, and we are down to four projectiles. Almost all but two of these guys are in group homes, and frankly if I dont make it happen, then it wont happen for them. Thanks.

Joe
Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Joe, you would like carbons I assume?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 PM

I will take anything as long as it will fly safely out of a 175lb Horton Hunter Elite. Carbon, aluminum, tri colored unicorn horn, as long as these guys have a chance.

Joe

Quick Reply: Bolts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.