Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excaliber opinions

Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Excaliber opinions

I had an Emax. It was hard on servings and tiring to cock for repeated target work like has been said. The Ecet seems to shoot almost as fast and is alot more user friendly. Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking about just this kind of thing last week. I'd like to have a 200 lb beast, but jeeze! It'd blow through my targets and force me to spend more on replacements. It'd be too tiring to cock to shoot very much, and I shoot a lot because it's FUN. (I hate practice, but I do play a lot.) Won't be hunting anything much tougher than feral hogs. I finally pretty much came to the decision that 150 lbs is plenty for my needs. 175 at the very outside, and I'd have to get a ridiculously good deal to make me look at anything that heavy.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I was thinking about just this kind of thing last week. I'd like to have a 200 lb beast, but jeeze! It'd blow through my targets and force me to spend more on replacements. It'd be too tiring to cock to shoot very much, and I shoot a lot because it's FUN. (I hate practice, but I do play a lot.) Won't be hunting anything much tougher than feral hogs. I finally pretty much came to the decision that 150 lbs is plenty for my needs. 175 at the very outside, and I'd have to get a ridiculously good deal to make me look at anything that heavy.
You're right as usual AP, actually when I still had the Emax i was going to order a Vixen from Danny Miller, but he talked me into a Phoenix, which I discovered about a year later was actually a mis marked Exocet, lol. By then I was so fond of the bow which cocked soooo much easier, I couldn't get away from it. I had a carved tip black Vixen here for awhile, buddy was hiding it out from girl friend, lol. Smoke has it now and it was a real pleasure to shoot, and if I'm not mistaken, Smoke took 5 deer w/ it this last season.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Horizontal Hunter

Stephen,

The 200lb Exocet is capable of taking any animal in North America. The Vixen (150lb) has been used to take moose in Canada.

Actually, the cheapest retail outlet I have found is BHSS:

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/crossbows-excalibur-c-40_145.html

But if you get it from Dan Miller, the person who handles all US repairs, the xbow will come setup and sighted in. His prices are very competitiveand heis also and excellent resource for questions (740) 483-2312. Call Dan Miller before you buy, it is worth the time.

Any Excalibur product is an excellent choice and they stand behind their product regardless of where you get it.

Bob
You bet...Excals are #1 as far as I am concerned my ExoMax will drill thru hogs with ease.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

I too am a member of the Ex-Exomax club. It's just too much poundge - period. I shot a deer at dark from inside a ground blind with it. The sparks flew from the rail on the shot and you could smell the burning wax. And it's just too scary to be comfrontable with for me.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:44 PM
KLV

I, too, am an ex-Exomax shooter. It was a nice crossbow, but it went through string servings as fast as most people change their socks. Recently, while in Europe, I had the opportunity to shoot the Vortex. Even though it is only 25lbs less draw and has a 1 inch shorter power stroke, it seemed to (imo) to be alot less violent and almost the perfect blend blend of power and shootability. I am in in the market for a recurve and it's going to take someting remarkable to keep me from making it a Vortex.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:22 AM

Cheapest prices (besides *bay) on the Vortex and other Excalibers that I have found is at "western hunting online". a vortex is $455 and a Exocet $424 But don't expect to get the after sale service you would get from Dan Miller or Wyvern
Old 04-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Qoute: "Even though it is only 25lbs less draw and has a 1 inch shorter power stroke, it seemed to (imo) to be alot less violent and almost the perfect blend blend of power and shootability."
The thing that makes it seemingly easier to cock is the stock is 2" shorter overall. Don't get me wrong, the Vortex is still one powerful bow and hard to cock if one has physical limitations. But it's a good blend of size and power that is suitable for any critter that walks this country. If I were to only hunt deer or pigs I think I'd Phoenix it tho.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:29 PM

The Vortex, IMHO,is the perfect crossbow if, like me, you are a "seasoned" (older) hunter and you like recurves. Mine is set up to shoot 480 grain arrows and the Vortex blasts them out at almost 300 fps and accuracy for hunting ranges is hard to beat.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too also have a VORTEX and love it!!
It is extremely accurate and I love the compact stock. I had a Horton Team RealTree HD175 compound Xbow before I bought the Excal. It was also a nice bow and accurate. But I went with the Excal because it is easier & cheaperto maintain being a recurve. Also quite a bit lighter. You can't go wrong with an EXCAL....

chris

Quick Reply: Excaliber opinions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.