Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Truglow trajectory compensating open red dot scope review

Old 04-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Truglow trajectory compensating open red dot scope review

Hi All:
OK, I just got in these and had to go out and give them a shot. These open red dots feature a dieal on the back that allows you to choose 4 diferant gaps between the red dots so you can custom taylor the impact points to the speed of the crossbow. So I grab a DS and throw one on. At the ATA show I noted that there was quite a bit of reflexion on the glass under the big incandesant lights. Well, in very bright sunlight at a low angle if you are FACING the sun there is alot of reflexion. Not enough to screw up a shot, but it is there. Move so the sun is behind you and there is none. Low light they seem very good....about the same as a standard red dot. They do have a tremendous advantage as far as field of view since there is nothing in the way, and target aquisition is instantanious. I set it up at 20 yrds, and zeroed it in and walked back to 30. Sighting in on the second dot I hit high, so I rotated the dial on the back that adjusts the distance between the dots (you have a choice of 4 gaps) and tightened up the gap....Bang, dead on. So I went back to 40 and it was about 1" high on the third dot. That is as far as I went since I could see where this was going. So I went back into 20 and the "new" first dot on the tighter dot grouping was still dead on. I did notice the lights dimming every now and then...OH, they have both red and green on this scope, and found that the metal grounding tabs on the cover of the battery were flattened so a quick bend upward and the problem seems solved. I dont see this being that great a choice for the very fast bows as the tightest option is still too wide to compensate for 20-30-40 impact points and if they got any closer seperating one dot from the rest would be a pain. They would be very good on bows up to about 330fps (actual speed) and because of the elimination of the tube they are IMO much better than a standard red dot. It is made in China, and is not what I would call a "high end unit" but for about $75-80ish it is actually a neet option to a standard red dot. Yes, they are available in camo too...

Old 04-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Truglow trajectory compensating open red dot scope review

Pretty cool,thanks for the review.