Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow in airport/boat customs

Old 04-14-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Crossbow in airport/boat customs

Hi all, first post although I've searched here before to come to decide which crossbow I wanted.
I am moving to live in France for at least 18 months and whilst there I'm going to leave behind my airgun passion and take up the crossbow. I will either import a Barnett revolution compound bow, or pick up a similar french supplied model. Neither would require a license in France or the UK.

The question is... What are travellers experience of shipping crossbow? Did anyone ever take one on holiday, for hunting or when moving to live abroad? Because I may choose to return to the UK. I would rather not send it by post because Royal Mail is packed with theives and this is exactly the sort of thing that goes missing there. So I would either return by plane or boat, probably plane. Is it possible to declare such a thing to airport customs? Would I need to check with the airport procedure, or the plane company I would fly back with? Are there international rules against such a thing without a firearms license, even if the item in question does not require one at the port of departure and entry?

Any experiences are welcomed, please help as I would be hesitant to purchase a crossbow feeling I could not be sure of returning with it some day.