Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Thoughts on the Darton Great Lakes Impact

Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 AM
KLV

Default Thoughts on the Darton Great Lakes Impact

Well, I've now reached the 750 shot mark with my Darton impact and feel that I can share some of my impressions for any others who might be interested in a Darton xbow.

First of all, the feature that stands out most positively for me is the string serving wear. After 750 shots the serving show no real signs of wear. The serving is flatten slightly and a bit duller in appearance where the fingers that hold the sting make contact but there is no fuzziness or fraying of any kind. I did call Darton and they told me to wax the serving which is something I probably wouldn't have done otherwise. I don't know if this makes that big a difference but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Next in line is the accuracy. It it very accurate. I shot 43 arrow 2 days ago before I was snowed out and when my Dad saw my target, because the arrows kept hitting the same holes, he said it looked like I had only fire 11 shots. Due to strong winds and bad weather I've only been able to shoot 40-50 yards one day while sighting in my Lumi-zone and was able to chew the center out of a 3 inch Shoot and See target dot. So I'm very happy with the accuracy and have a lot of confidence this xbow.

The xbow is also equipped with limbsavers and string leeches. Surprisingly, the string leeches are still there. I haven't had much luck with these on my 300 fps Hoyt Viper compound so it is a pleasant surprise, even though I don't know how much effect they have on string noise. Overall noise on the bow seeem about the same as the Excalibur Exomax I had but is more of a thump sound while the Emax was a higher pitch pop. Neither of these xbows could be considered quiet.

For those interested I have shot 22" 490 grain 2219s @ 340fps and I am now shooting 22" 465 grain Carbon Express Maxima @ 348fps. I did find that at 348 the xbow will shoot flatter than the Lumi-zone scope will adjust for even though the scope is marked to 350fps. It shoots consistently 1.5 inches high using the 30, 40, 50 yd dots in the scope. Not a big deal but thought I should mention it.

The trigger has a slight take-up but breaks clean at 4.3 pounds according to my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. This isn't terrible but it's not great either. It is the one feature of the bow that took me the longest to get use too and it does require concentration on proper shooting form.

Due to the trigger and stock design, the saftey is also located forward on the barrel which can be awkward. I've had two people reach over the top and through the string to take the saftey off. So if you have one of thes xbows, you have to make sure you pay particular attention to safe handling procedures.

Finally, this xbow is not light. I just mounted a Lumi-zone scope on it (which requires high mounts to keep the scope off the scope rail) and the overall weight is just under 10 lbs. While I find the weight helpful in steadying the xbow during off-hand shooting, I'm sure there are many who would not want to pack this kind of weight around all day.

All in all I am very happy with this xbow. Excellent speed combined with outstanding accuracy make this the perfect combination for hunting the big, open public land of the West, where a 50yd shot is far more common than a 30yd shot.

This xbow was a gift from my family and while I wanted a fast xbow to replace my Exomax, I don't know if I would have bought this xbow for myself. Now that I've had time to shoot it and put it through it's paces, I've come to the conclusion that they made a great choice. Despite it's saftey location and slightly stiff trigger, I would recommend Darton xbows to anyone looking fo a well made, powerful xbow. In fact, I think if Darton advertised more and maybe offered another model with a more conventional stock you would see a lot more of them in the hunting woods.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thoughts on the Darton Great Lakes Impact

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I've got the Fireforce and the Stinger.
I pretty much agree with KLV has to say.

Though the weight isn't much of a factor if you've shot the Bowtech, Stryker much!!

I also have very good accuracy out of mine. I ruined two arrows...putting one into the back of the other until I started shooting only one per target dot. My target has four.
String life...much better than any crossbow I've owned in the past twenty years. Very light pressure on the track.

And last...my two must be off as far as the trigger. Mine have far and away better triggers than any crossbow I've shot...save for the Stryker, and they are very close. The Darton trigger does have a lighter pull from the factory.
Much more akin to a rifle than a crossbow, at least the ones I've shot.

Mike
Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

"The trigger has a slight take-up but breaks clean at 4.3 pounds according to my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. This isn't terrible but it's not great either. It is the one feature of the bow that took me the longest to get use too and it does require concentration on proper shooting form.

Due to the trigger and stock design, the saftey is also located forward on the barrel which can be awkward. I've had two people reach over the top and through the string to take the saftey off. So if you have one of thes xbows, you have to make sure you pay particular attention to safe handling procedures."

I shot theLightning and the Storm at the ATA show and thought the exact same thing except the triggers on the ones Ishot had a TON of creep though were actually pretty good once you gotonto the sear. The safety location was a big one for me and IMO could really use some work. Other than that they are very well built and perform very well
Wyvern

Old 04-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about their warranty? Support and customer relations?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

"How about their warranty? Support and customer relations?"

Lifetime on the warranty and their service is right up there with the best. The product is excelent....I personaly dont like the trigger or the safety, but the product is excelent in every other respect.

Wyvern
Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

The safety is mentiond a few times..
Actually...if you just extend your trigger finger a little when you're ready to shoot...it's not bad at all! very easy to get used to.

You want a bad safety location...I haven't gotten used to the Stryker safety location at all...and most likely won't! Not intuative (or ergonomically designed to fit me) to me in the slightest.

Mike
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
KLV

I was a little lazy regarding my original comments on the saftey. While you have to be careful and pay attention not to reach over the top, I find the saftey to be very accessible and easy to use when I'm shooting. I am a right handed shooter and don't have a problem with the saftey and it would probably be even easier to operate for a left hand shooter. What I should have said is that it is located such that if you get sloppy or careless you can reach over and through the string which could potentially lead to a problem if you are one of those types who always has his finger on the trigger. As in all the shooting sports, "Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot", seems to solve most problems. And on crossbows, keep your fingers under and behind the string.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Well...looks like I won the new Darton Impact from e-bay.

I'f you're interested in one of the Darton line...keep a watch in the auctions. $450 for a new Impact.

I may put my Fireforce up for sale.
Anyone interested, let me know.

Mike