Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

O/T big game air rifles

Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default O/T big game air rifles

anybody read fur-fish-game?

last months issue had an article about big game air rifles, I glanced through it but didnt actually sit down and read it until just recently, I had no idea that air rifles were built on such a large and powerfulscale, they hadup to and including .50cal, and mentioned .25, .32, .308, and .457cal also...

they were hunting some pretty big game too, including pigs and rams

I havent checked but I dont suppose that theres much you can legally hunt with them here in the US, but I still findit kind of intersting, I'm going to have to do a little researching on it...
Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: O/T big game air rifles

Airguns have always been a craze of mine! Did you know Lewis and Clarke had one on their exploration? Believe it was .36 cal, called a pre-charged pnuematic, as the air reservoir was a copper tank for the stock.They took hogs and deer w/ it.Google giradoni, it was made in 17th century [1600's] and was a big bore repeater! Believe .41 caliber or .51, but would shoot clean through a man wearing armor at 100 yds, something like 14 or 15 shots on one tank of air. I've had some beauties!! Try googling Dennis Quackenbush, he makes some stuff capable of taking deer.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:37 AM
KLS
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Airguns have always been a craze of mine! Did you know Lewis and Clarke had one on their exploration? Believe it was .36 cal, called a pre-charged pnuematic, as the air reservoir was a copper tank for the stock.They took hogs and deer w/ it.Google giradoni, it was made in 17th century [1600's] and was a big bore repeater! Believe .41 caliber or .51, but would shoot clean through a man wearing armor at 100 yds, something like 14 or 15 shots on one tank of air. I've had some beauties!! Try googling Dennis Quackenbush, he makes some stuff capable of taking deer.

wow, I did not know that...

I also had no idea that the air rifle went that far back in history, I guess you learn something every day...

Dennis Quackenbush was highly mentioned in that article, as was a couple of korean made ones, shinsung and sam yang

I did do a little digging and was surprised to learn exactly how much pressure is required and how muchair they use per shot, I used to be big into paintball(and still have alot of my equipment)and I know quite a bit about those kinds of pneumatic air guns but I have no idea how those big airgun riflesoperate, I'm still digging around though...

they werent as high priced as I thought they'd be either
Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

They make some nice air guns,i have seen vidios of guys takeing hogs with them....
Old 02-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

They make some nice air guns,i have seen vidios of guys takeing hogs with them....
Here's the Video, Ranger

http://gamousa.com/Catalog.aspx?Action=Videos
Old 02-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Rebel...Where ya been....
Old 02-29-2008, 01:12 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

thats a pretty neat video

I'mpretty familiar with gamo and the .177cal and .22cal air rifles, but these guys are taking it way beyond that, these guns are shooting standard rifle bullets and round balls up to and including .50cal, and seem to be pretty potent at it

a quote from that magazine article...

"I used a .457 Quackenbush African Express that generates between 500 and 650 foot pounds of impact. It put a 510 grain bullet through a warthog, front to back."

thats pretty impressive...

I've messed around with various "over the counter" air rifles pretty much all my life(who didnt have an air rifle when they were a kid) but I never got deep enough intothem to realize that were capable of doing that...

Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red Rider BB gun for me....Now I have a Gamo...