Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Phoenix Questions

Old 02-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Spike

Default Phoenix Questions

Looking at the Phoenix for my first crossbow. Advertized at 305 fps. I will be hunting deer at ranges up to 40 yards out of blinds and trees, Is this the right bow for me?Does it have enough power? I have shot it and it feels fine. Also have shot the Exocet, nice but more money for sure. Like to hear your thoughts on these bows. thanks Joe
Old 02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Phoenix Questions

The real difference between these two is that you won't mind whacking away at targets all day with the Pheonix but you may with the Exocet 200. Both the Vixen and the Phoenix are really easy to cock and I am 5'3". Check this out. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/dem...content_id=153
Old 02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Its a great bow. I have one. Plenty of power and very accurate. Feel free to ask me any questions about it.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned a Phoenix since shortly afterthey were introduced, and it's everything I need for deer hunting and target shooting.
I would be reluctant to try 40 yard shots with it, though.
Just my opinion, but I use a rough "rule of thumb" for bows of 1 yard for every 10 fps. It's not scientific, by any means, but for a 300 fps arrow it would be a limit of 30 yards. As I said, it's not scientific!, but it has worked out pretty well for me as a general guideline. Easy to remember & calculate, and in most cases you will be safe taking shots within those limits. I wouldn't be too concerned with pushing it a few yards if the deer looked relaxed & pre-occupied (as if it was feeding), but I'd think twice if the deer was nervous and looked like it was ready to bolt.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Wabi's pretty much nailed it. Mule deer no problem at 40. Whitetail gets iffy. I would but only well quartered away so its ears are pointed away, eating, head down, tail down and came in without a suspicous attitude. But that's me.