Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

is 100# enough?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: is 100# enough?

well, i went to Barnett's website and checked out some of their Xbows and that was the trend i noticed with their current Xbow selection anyhow
Old 02-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DaGriz

In my opinion you owe it to the critter your hunting to use the draw weight that insures a clean kill at whatever distance and circumstance you shoot. Using a lighter draw weightwould mean you have to limit yourself to shorter distances.Hunting with a Horizontal bow or a vertical bow requires common sense, confidence in your equipment , knowing your limitations, knowing when NOT to shootplus a lot of patience!
It is really not the kill that makes the hunt. That's the anti climatic end to a good hunt!
My sentiments exactly! Wise words to heed to be sure!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

30# recurve will take whitetail buck out to 20yds maxand is very deadly as you can hold it like a compound with your fingers.
secret is you have to have a good heavy arrow for energy and sharp point.

as long as your shots are close,20 yds .

many, manyof kids i grew up with used a 30 # bow.
i dont know what the law is now on that, i think its still 30# is minimum you can use.

as for crossbow, i am not able to help but if i was using light pdbow, i would use heavy arrow and shoot close,like 20 yds.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

150# for XBow minimum, probably minimum 50# for verticle bow. California has a minimum of 40# on verticle bows for the taking of big game. In our regs they additionaly state that XBow and verticle bow have to launch arrow or bolt 130yds. minimum.