Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

whats your preference?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:05 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default whats your preference?

just out of curiousity and/or just for some conversation sake I'd like to know what everyones opinionsare as to what the lowest weight arrow(that would still be practical and safe to shoot) would be, and what the heaviestweight arrow(again, that would still be practical to shoot)would be for bow ranges of say 150lbs, 175lbs, 200lbs, and 225lbs(or whatever you have), and what would be the target arrow weight you would strive for(oralready have)if you were putting arrows together for each of those draw weights

no right or wrong here,and I'm not looking for any answers to any questions, or trying to drag up yet another "perfect arrow weight"or its "componants" topic, I'm justcurious as towhat everyones opinions and preferencesfor actual arrow weights are, and what they are forvarious draw weights
Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whats your preference?

GT L II's, 431 gr w/ 100 gr points out of both a Phoenix and Emax. These are also known as "Millers Killers" as Danny Miller pushes them. Alot of the Excal crowd use them, interestingly enough, they are nearly the same as 10 pts version, which says alot to me.

They only cost about 14 fps over minimum weight for Excals, quiet the bow, shoot great w/ either field tips or bheads. They also perform great refletched w/ 2" Blazers.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

where to start on this ? awshucks has given a very good arrow and he likes those Millers killers. seem to be good carbon arrows. Another very good carbon arrow would be eastons power bolt. eastons alum. 2117 2216 and 2219. each CB is abit different in its likes speed and weight. you don't lose or gain very much if your weight only changes 30-50 grs. its really a moot pt!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

GT L II's, 431 gr w/ 100 gr points out of both a Phoenix and Emax. These are also known as "Millers Killers" as Danny Miller pushes them. Alot of the Excal crowd use them, interestingly enough, they are nearly the same as 10 pts version, which says alot to me.

They only cost about 14 fps over minimum weight for Excals, quiet the bow, shoot great w/ either field tips or bheads. They also perform great refletched w/ 2" Blazers.
Ditto!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 02-17-2008, 03:23 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

LOL, thats alright, it was more of just a converstion starter than anything anyway

I was more or less just curious to see how much everyone played around with different arrows/arrow weights(if any) andwhat everyones prefered arrow weight range was if they did

looks like the GT II's still rule the yard though...
Old 02-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

At the end of the day, it seems to me that you really want it to fly like a dart. If you can get that at your min weight, fine, but it seems easier to get that at a slightly heavier weight like 450 gr. Also, on layered foam targets, I have seem huge gains in penetration shifting the FOC forward and being heavier overall.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excals get their advertised fps w/ optional FFF strings and minimum weight Gt's [about 35 7 gr] I can't speak for all the Excal guys here [or anywhere] but I've found that combo to be a little obnoxious. Giving up 14 fps for the heavier GT's seems a happy medium to me, and from what I read alot of others.. Excal has switched to a different stock arrow now, believe the new ones are about 380 gr but have no experience w/ them. From what I've read on the Net, the GT's have tighter tolerances for straightness than most others, hence my choice. Having really bad luck[if poop was worth $ I would have been born w/o a butt] I choose not to use bendable alums. Any carbon is either good or gone and I've never had a problem w/ mine.