Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

DNK String Review

Old 02-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default DNK String Review

Hi All:

I got in some strings from DNK and it finally stopped snowing enough for me to do some testing with them. One had the cat whiskers on it and I HAD to try that one first I used an Excal Phoenix and compared it to the factory string that comes with the bow. I tried both aluminum and carbon bolts just to see the diferance. Here are the results:

Stock String:

425gr aluminum bolt: 272fps 92.7 db
394gr carbon bolt: 277fps 90.3db

This of course shows that carbons are a bit faster, and quieter than aluminums and since the 305fps speed claim is made with 350gr bolts it is basicly inline with what we would expect from Excalibur.

DNK String:

425gr aluminum bolt: 276fps 90.5db
394gr carbon bolt: 278fps 84.9db

Not a huge gain in FPS, but WOW on the noise factor. NOW...here is the clincher...those cat whiskers will generaly slow down a bow, so once I am done having fun with that string I will try one without the whiskers and see what I clock then. Theoreticaly I will gain a few more FPS, but personaly the noise drop is a bigger factor. Also, let me state that having made flemish strings myself, DNK's work is top notch and obviously he takes great care and pride in his work. I also put on the string and let it set overnight to stretch it in. After quite a few shots and some playing around with it I noted that the string stretched aproximately the thickness of the string itself. Basicly it moved from one side of the top line on the rail to the other side of the top line on the rail. So much for having to twist up the string to adjust the brace height If anyone had any hesitation about purchasing stings from him, dont worry, you will be VERY happy!

Wyvern

Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: DNK String Review

Ditto