Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

2219 vs. 2216

Old 02-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2219 vs. 2216

Well, I've done some experiments w/ FOC and these are just my opinions mind you. A 20" arrow w/ a 100 gr field tip weight the same as w/ a 100 gr bhead. The minor diff in length [maybe 1/2"] between the two is not going to change the balance point enough to matter to ME. Others I'm sure will find fault w/ this. I changed the FOC on my arrows by adding 1" of threaded rod into the nocks. That added 25 gr to rear of arrow and dropped my FOC down to about 15% from about 20%. Made no diff in group size at 50 yds, just lower location on the target. This was w/ field points btw. The consensus of posted opinions seems to be that FOC isn't too important w/ target arrows, but comes more into play w/ bheads. Once I tried Slick Tricks on the arrows Danny Miller advises for Excals, I quit fiddling around w/ anything, I'd gotten to where I was happy. There are those that follow the belief [probably true] that alot of FOC will give you more of a "droopy" trajectory. I'm one of the guys that uses Excal range compensating scopes, so that theory if true, means nothing to me as light or heavy, the arrows are satill dead on at all the ranges, I just can't mix and match them.

Here's a link to an Italian site where a guy has done exhaustive tests on arrows, weights, bheads, ect. It's worth spending some time rooting around in.
http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org/
Old 02-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried other arrows they work ok for deer, But to me the 2219 is much prefered for boar,elk bear and any thing much bigger or tough skinned than a deer, I have considered going to a bit heavier arrow because they often get busted up when they are hanging out the far side. Lee
Old 02-17-2008, 08:58 AM

I think I would end up spending way too much time getting into the details.....I just want to make sure I don't do something stupid that makes my arrows fly backwards or something......If I can get consistent kill hits, I'm gonna be happy. Now at least I know enough about balancing to stay in the range.
Lemoyne, I'm with you on the arrow wieght. I've shot some of these pigs with firearms many, many, many times....and they've gotten up and run off!!! I've never seen anything tougher. Is there a heavier arrow than a 2219? Maybe a 2221 or something? Or is that just overkilling it?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Okieboy

I think I would end up spending way too much time getting into the details.....I just want to make sure I don't do something stupid that makes my arrows fly backwards or something......If I can get consistent kill hits, I'm gonna be happy. Now at least I know enough about balancing to stay in the range.
Lemoyne, I'm with you on the arrow wieght. I've shot some of these pigs with firearms many, many, many times....and they've gotten up and run off!!! I've never seen anything tougher. Is there a heavier arrow than a 2219? Maybe a 2221 or something? Or is that just overkilling it?
Ohh, there are lot of AL arrow sizes. You generally need to keep in the 22XX range for your bow. Trouble is there are NO nocks available except for 2216 and 2219. I do think you can use inserts as a flat nock, but have not completed my testing on this yet.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Ohh, there are lot of AL arrow sizes. You generally need to keep in the 22XX range for your bow. Trouble is there are NO nocks available except for 2216 and 2219. I do think you can use inserts as a flat nock, but have not completed my testing on this yet.
Some guys cut inserts down to use as nocks in order to keep/gain higher FOC. GT alum nock= 22 gr, alum insert =32 gr but can be cut off to alot less.

Okieboy: There are some 170 gr bheads available for xbows, good way to gain weight and FOC at the same time. I'd stay away from expandables for hogs, as a matter of fact some hog outfitters in Tx and Ok won't allow them. I've shot two hogs w/ my Phoenix, both were good shots and pass thru's, but I take my Emax for serious hog hunting.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Some guys cut inserts down to use as nocks in order to keep/gain higher FOC. GT alum nock= 22 gr, alum insert =32 gr but can be cut off to alot less.
Good point, if you don't want to use the insert for target removal.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

I use inserts for nocks because I have an adapter that I made for my fletching jig that screws into the insert and then locks into my fletching jig, it keeps the arrows aligned for fletching and/or if I need to replace justone feather afterward

I use using beman's inserts which are huge and weigh 43gr, I didnt really care for them because the collar was bigger around than the arrow itself and actually had grooves wore into it from it riding on the rail... I did cut and shave them down to be more than exceptable(15gr.) but decide to use 21/64" inserts instead, they weigh around 24gr but I got them down to 12gr fairly easily and the collar is just slightly smaller that the arrow which means I dont have to shave the collar down, they work good...
Old 02-17-2008, 03:59 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Is there a heavier arrow than a 2219? Maybe a 2221 or something? Or is that just overkilling it?

20/64" arrows will slide into 22'64" arrows andalot of guys do thatfor increasing OA weight... butif you really want weight a fiberglass fish arrow also slides into a 22/64" arrow, at 37gpi ifyou put an 18" fish arrow inside a 2219 you'd end up with about a 940gr arrow,add 100gr for tip, about 50gr for inserts and 30gr for vanes and you'd end up with an arrow that weighsabout 1120gr

Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KLS

Is there a heavier arrow than a 2219? Maybe a 2221 or something? Or is that just overkilling it?

20/64" arrows will slide into 22'64" arrows andalot of guys do thatfor increasing OA weight... butif you really want weight a fiberglass fish arrow also slides into a 22/64" arrow, at 37gpi ifyou put an 18" fish arrow inside a 2219 you'd end up with about a 940gr arrow,add 100gr for tip, about 50gr for inserts and 30gr for vanes and you'd end up with an arrow that weighsabout 1120gr

Bill T, co-owner of Excal shot an elephant w/ stock Emax and a 900 gr arrow. Would have had a complete passthru, but arrow lodged in offside fore leg bone. About 250 fps IIRC.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 AM

I guess I don't have to worry about overkill.........I saw some of the 170 grain broadheads @ Academy but they were $37 for three and I thought that was a little much........I might go back and buy em now!!! Trajectory isn't my biggest concern as I'm hunting them in huge greenbriar thickets. Our biggest problem is stepping on them while they're bedded down. I've actually shot them @ 5 feet......I don't think I want that close of a shot with a CB, though. Not enough time to climb a tree.....Thanks for y'alls help. I'll let you know how it goes.....