Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New stringing, maintenance device for recurve crossbows

Old 01-05-2008, 01:16 PM

Default New stringing, maintenance device for recurve crossbows

This is a new device I have invented

And it works, and people who have it really love it.

You just loop the rope over something firm and rigid near the end of the CB like the stock butt, pull on the two handles evenly, the two rope ratchets lock in place, remove or install the string, or break the bow down for storage and/or maintenance. When you finish, there are release catches on the ratchet pulleys.

I am doing one for pistol types, and for compound CBs too.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: New stringing, maintenance device for recurve crossbows

I was checking out your cocking aids and suchand have a question... have you ever checked into the liability issue of making a system like that and selling it?

I'm notsure how that stuff works but(and not to knock your designs)your cocking aid looks like its a pretty "high friction" design and hasa fair possibility of failure in a realitively short time, you better make sure that if that things breaks at near full draw and dry fires someones bow, or worse yet seriously hurts someone that your not the one whos going to be held responsible...
making and using one yourself is one thing, but marketing a product like that(even on a small scale) and selling it to the general public is different...

its kind of like me rigging up a fall harness, selling it, and then having it break and failwhile someone was using it and fell, maybe evencausingthem injury, I'd think when it came right down to it that I'd be held responible... your deal isnt as dramatic as that but I wonder if the same principles apply, most guys are pretty decent and would probably not have an issue other than being irritated that it happened but all it takes is one guy and a lawyer and you could be in a little trouble

maybe something to check into if you havent already...
Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Geeeze can you think of the damage to one's body if one side let go? The amount of mass being ripped around by the other limb would be crippling!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM

My invention is being questioned as to whether it might snap and hurt someone. Let me say this, because I am on the verge of saying to hell with these forums due to naysayers, and negative attitudes about the stuff I build.

First of all, I test the hell out of each item. I may be poor but I am not ignorant, nor am I stupid.

The ropes I am using are tested by the people who manufacture them at over a half ton of weight. The straps I am using are tested and rated at a ton and a half.

The Ratchet pulleys I use are designed to hold extremely heavy loads of all types of stuff on the bed of trucks and however else a person chooses to strap things down.

If someone does not like what I build or sell, then DON"T BUY IT. I don't care. There are plenty of people out there who are buying it and telling me how great it is working.

That is all I have to say at this time. If this is offensive to anyone, then just delete my membership in this forum, and if you happen to be an administrator of another forum, do so there.

I came here to help and to offer alternate good solutions to common problems, not to be offended attacked or ridiculed. I do accept constructive input, but don't make the mistake of thinking I am a dummy, cause head to head you will not win. Like I said, I don't have money, but don't bet money that I don't have brains.

And yes ... I am pi$$ed.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it IS constructive criticism and nothing to get ticked off about.KLS has a very valid point about liability. I don't doubt you have tested and retested everything, but stuff happens. Protecting yourself with a product liability policy would be prudent. Unfortunately, the cost would have to be passed on to your customers. This is why businesses have been screaming for tort reform for years now, and one bigreason prices are so high.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I think it IS constructive criticism and nothing to get ticked off about. KLS has a very valid point about liability. I don't doubt you have tested and retested everything, but stuff happens. Protecting yourself with a product liability policy would be prudent. Unfortunately, the cost would have to be passed on to your customers. This is why businesses have been screaming for tort reform for years now, and one big reason prices are so high.
I appreciate this piece of input. Maybe I am just reacting to constant attacks. I really do not have enough money to get an insurance company involved at this point. You would most likely die laughing if you really knew just how much of a shoe string I am operating on. Literally, I am having problems buying groceries. That is not a joke nor is it stretching the truth, It is dead on.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most forums are to allow people to exchange ideas & opinions on the subject of the forum, in this case crossbows.
If you had come to the forum asking if people thought your device was practical, orif there was anycommercial interest, the response might have been that there probably isn't going to be a huge market for it.

For bows like the Excaliburs there is already a stringing aid offered by the manufacturer. For those who don't have a stringer there is always the inexpensiveoption of a "slave string" which is simply a string long enough to go on the limbs with the limbs fully relaxed (bow unstrung). I use a "slave string" for my Excalibur and it works quite well. Simply put in on the un-strung bow, pull it like you are cocking the bow until it latches under the "claws", andput the safety ON. Thenput the new crossbow string loops through the "slave string" loops and over the limb tips. Slowly de-cock the crossbow like you normally would (release the safety - pull backon the "slave string"forcefully - trip the trigger to release the "claws" - let it down carefully). The new string will "pop" under the "slave string" loopsinto the string grooves and you're done! The "slave string" weighs practically nothing (the weight of a crossbow string) and I can roll it up and carry it in my pocket or pack right with my spare string. If I loose it I'm out less than $1.00 for material and the time it will take me to make a new one (probably 15 minutes). BTW - I do make my own endless loop strings even though I use a Boo flemish twist string on my Excalibur.

Your device looks like it should work, but there is probably very little demand for it in all honesty. And I'm sure the issues of safety and liability would be a concern to perspective buyers.
If I were interested I'd be asking what the loops that go over the limbs are made of and if there was a possibility of damaging the limbs. Are the S hooks tested to withstand the pressure? I've used the cam-lock type buckles you use on load tie-downs on my truck and I know they can sometimes jamb and be very difficult to release, so I would be reluctant to trust them too far.
Sorry if some of ussound negative, but when you come to a forum like this trying to promote sales or createa market for products you are making or interested in being a distributor for (like the Middleton crossbow) you need to be prepared to answer questions and accept negative comment. If you can't take criticism, then you probably should stick with marketing on eBay. It looks like your stringer has received several positive feedbacks there, so it might be the best way to sell it. You might also want to try simply informing forum members if they would like to learn more about the crossbow stringing device you are manufacturing and marketing they should visit your eBay link for more information.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ReStringer-RC-crossbow-stringer-restringer-tool-device_W0QQitemZ250203715681QQihZ015QQcategoryZ525 09QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

For the safety sake of the user/purchaser as well as your financial well-being I think it would be prudent to at least have your inventions checked by an Engineer or a consultant to a safety association. In Canada we have CSA approvals, they test products and give it an approval. This does not negate court action towards you. In all seriousness have you considered just how impossible personaly injury is? I was being serious when I said what I said about the act that may follow if one side let loose.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RevWally

My invention is being questioned as to whether it might snap and hurt someone. Let me say this, because I am on the verge of saying to hell with these forums due to naysayers, and negative attitudes about the stuff I build.

And yes ... I am pi$$ed.

Typically when a product is introduced to the public it is given to an independent tester for feed back and/or testing, tools, toys, clothes, cars.. Often it is given to two, one is unbiased and the other is used for advertising reasons.
Testing is not done in a back yard, it done by machines that will work that particular tool tens of thousands of times, not a few.
The guys are just looking out for you, you are dealing with raw energy, energy that is connected to a human being, a human being that has an investment in what they are applying it to. We are just the public, you should not be "pi$$ed" at what people have to say, nor be looking at it as a "negative attitude", you should look at it for what it really is, feedback.
I shoot every day, my bow equipment is used in the rain, snow, freezing rain and it gets used thousands of times, when I buy something I want the confidence that that item was tested while covered in snow, or someone in the past has banged the ice off it against a stump just like I would in the real world. And more importantly I would like to know that if something did go wrong the supplier/manufacturer has enough liability to compensate me in the event of a lost eye or broken bone.
Is that negative to you?
You aren't introducing a foam handle for a garden rake, you are presenting a mechanism that is there to restrain 200+ LBS of energy that someone is without doubt going to be sticking their hands in. You need to listen to what people are saying and asking and grow from it, not get "pi$$ed".
Have you tested it after being wet? Frozen? Covered in dirt and mud/snow.. Not everyone lives in Florida, these are things that need to be looked after.
I couldn't begin to tell you how many times my equiptment falls into the snow/slush trying to fumble with it with big ol' gloves on.
It's just feedback rev, take it for what it is.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 AM

OK ... I guess I over reacted, and really ... I do appreciate all of the positive input.

I apologize to all of you.

Quick Reply: New stringing, maintenance device for recurve crossbows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.