Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Is it a new idea?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default Is it a new idea?

I was watching Michael Waddel on TV today and he was endorsing the Bushnel drop compensator range finder. It gives the accurate yardage to target,then shows you the right yardage to shoot from a tree stand etc.
I used a Keller pendilum sight for years on my old compound bow as I was never any good at guessing yardages. It worked well for me. So I thought, does any scopes have this ability built into them. Well why not? It would be good for oldguys like me to have a scope like that on a crossbow and hunt from elevated places shooting down. If there is a scope out there that does this, I haven't seen it. I can't see why a scope manufacture couldn't perfect a pendilum crosshair or dot into their scopes. Is thislogical or is this just the crazy mind of old BuddyBo working aimlessly again? LOL
BBO
Old 12-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it a new idea?

I shot Keller myself,both tree stand and ground blind,i think you are
guessing to what I would bet they already working on!And I would
be willing to pay dearly for it,we are putting in three permenant
platform stands and useing the Ameristep Two Man chair blinds
the first year.These stands will be able to be moved with a small
tractor,be kinda neat to be mobile!The blinds will make them easier
to move.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:58 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

its an interesting concept...

I'm by far no expert on scope design, and could very well be wrong with my way of thinking, but probably the main problem I would see with a system like that would be with what would mainly be parralax adjustment/out of focus as the reticle moved back and forth inside the tube,looking at it through flat planed glass would probably work but I would think that with any "lensed" optic that any movement the reticle made inside the tube would cause an "optical illusion" while looking at it through the line of sight of the lenses, roughly kind of like looking at something moving in the water,it would throw its actual position off and therefor be off on the target

but like I said, I could very well be wrong... but if that would turn out to be the case I dont really knowwhat it would taketo cure the problem, I dont know if a simple adjustment from anadjustable objective lens would put everything in the line of sight back into focus and take care of it or not

another possible problem that I could seethat would be kind of related would be loosing the reticle in the scopes line of sight/field of viewas the pendilum swung one way or the other

one other thing that would be less of a problem would be to make a system that was free-swinging but still windage/elevation adjustable, and still be able to take the everyday abuse that a scope goes through and keep a dependable point of impact

its a neat idea though...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah KLS, you are probably right on all those points. But what it they (mfg.) made the mount and scope together and made the whole SCOPE swing just like the Keller sight. Then there's no paralex or field of view out of focus or anything. Just make the scope swing until the croshairs are on the target and, Konk! Dead dear down. LOL I don't know.
BBO