Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

disabled newbie needing info

Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 AM

Default disabled newbie needing info

Hello to all,
I'm a 51 yr oldfella with what my doctor calls endstage degenerative joint disaese in most of my body.I was disabled from my job 3/01/07 of this year. I will in the near future be having both knees replaced, and both of my shoulders are also pretty well shot. With that being said, I'm looking to buy aCB, and I've looked at a couple at an area pawnshop, and also at local Gander Moun..
I hunted the gun season here in Kentucky, and going to hunt the muzzle load. season starting this weekend. I can't shoot a compound bow, as my shoulders just can't handle the draw weight on most of the com/ bows. How hard is the crank to wind on CB's, I tried to drawa used 150 # PSE CB by hand, and I just wasn't able to draw it but halfway. KY. allows us to use a CB if your Dr. fills out the paper work. I 'll appreciate any help you folks mightsharewith me.
Thanks, Randy Aka/ sks Fordman

p.s.
I've been lurking and learning from this forum, and if some of you folks with shoulder problems can advise me what might be the best CB and crank to use itwould be very helpful. Being on a fixed income, I would like to do this right the 1st time, from what I've already read, this is the best of all the forums on the www on CB and com/ bows.
Thanks again, Randy [align=right][/align]
Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: disabled newbie needing info

First off, be sure to use a cocker rope when you try to cock any bow. That reduces the effort by at least 50%. Using a crank reduces the cocking effort by at least 80%/. The cocker acts like a ratchet, all you have to do is turn the handle. It's slower but infinitely easier. Treat yourself, and avoid someone else's problems from a used bow, have a look at the Excalibur Phoenix or Vixen. These are quality bows with an absolutely great customer service (lifetime warranty), that are relatively easy to maintain and shoot great.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

There are many people here with very similar set backs as yours, they will be along soon enough to share their experience and provide guidance.

I have a sneaky feeling the end result will be an Excalibur Phoenix and a crankaroo.Mind boggling accuracy, enough "umph" to kill anything you aim it atand effortless cocking.
The crankaroo will cock any of Excalibur's line-up, so even the highest poundage bow is a comfortable reality for you.
New is always nice, but very little can go wrong with an Excalibur bow. If you choose used they will still look after you, Excalibur does not care who bought the bow they only want to make sure who ever is holding it is happy.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good points already made, welcome to the forum. I hope you can get by w/ a rope cocker, the others are expensive and noisy and slow. I've used two of them, the Excal crarkaroo [$89] and the pick of the litter in crank type, 10 pt Acudraw {$250 plus installation]. the Excal goes on and off any of their bows in seconds, the 10 pt is permanetly mounted to the stock and will fit at least Excals, don't know of others but it's possible. Good Luck!!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Hi sks, I'm in about the same shape as you both shoulders gone and one knee replaced this march and the other
needing it. I've been into crossbows since 03 starting with a barnett revolution (waste of money) and then going to excalibur with a crankaroo (cocking device about $100.00) and windind up with a excalibur exomag (185 lbs.)
with mag tip limbs with a 10 point accudraw on it. I bought the accudraw for $125.00 and installed it myself but Danny Miller will install them.
If you want a compound and money is not an issueI would recomend a 10 point with a accudraw and if you want a recurve ( very little maintaince ) I would recommend a excalibur phoenix (175 lbs.) or exocet 200 with a crankaroo or accubraw.

Good Luck
Martin
Old 12-07-2007, 08:48 PM

Thanks to all'
I was up on the Excal website checking out thier CB's. I like the look's of them, and gonna do more research on thier product. I recieved a PM from a forum member and he mention about not having an auto safety on the Excal CB's. Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket product for a better safety fix, for I have 6 yr old Grandson who goes with me sometimes, so safety is avery important factor in the purchase of a CB. The forum member who PMed owns an Excal and was advising me of the caution you needed to use with the Excal's safety.
Thanks for the info.
Randy Aka:sks fordman
Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sks fordman
......... The forum member who PMed owns an Excal and was advising me of the caution you needed to use with the Excal's safety.
Thanks for the info.
Randy Aka:sks fordman
Randy, the reason Bill Troulbridge (Excalibur Owner) removed the auto safety from their products (yes they had them many many years ago) was just for safety. There are problems with auto safeties, along with the fact that they are mechanical and that anything which is mechanical has a tendicy to be able to malfunction. Bill likes to keep his products simple.

Treat your bow like you would a gun, Cock the bow, put the safety on right away. Do this all the time, get into that habbit and NEVER NEVER TRUST A MECHANICAL DEVICE FOR OR AS A SAFETY NET!!!!!!! Safety starts with you, not your bow.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 PM

When I first opened up my Excal I too used to worry about this, my Horton had it on it and I liked it. After watching the Excal DVD and heard his take on it I am glad I do not have it. In a sense it is a liability for you and Excal. A auto safety could fail and then you accidentally shoot your grandson, because you "thought " it was on right. So in order for you to be "safe" you should always be checking to make sure it is on after you cock right? If you think about it, it is foolish tocock and then hope it is on. As Bill T said, guns don'tcome with them, so why should a CB? Excal has a very solid safety, and I am glad I now treat my CB with the same respect I have for a gun, load and then the first thing I think about safety!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 PM

Thanks Grumpy Tom & Hotburn7
That helps clear up the auto safety issue. One of thethings I need to know is about the choice of broadheads. I'm not able to get around very well, and especially in the woods.(I have a son and a couple of cousins that have been a blessing to me with tracking and recovering). I want a broadhead that will give me an fast ethical kill so I won't have to rely on my family so much. I know there are many products out there, and my only experience with bow hunting was about 15 yr ago with a PSE compound bow, and I never took a deer that year, and before the next seasonI blew out a knee, and sold the bow. So i appreciate any thing you folks can share with me, forI'm still fairly green when it comes to archery.Thanks,
Randy Aka: sks fordman
Old 12-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't recall a broadhead that will give you a "fast kill." The all cause hemorrhage, rather than shock, like bullets, which usually takes a while. On rare occasions a 'spined' deer may fall on the spot but thats unusual. I rely on braodheads that give me accuracy and good terminal performance (penetration & sizable wound channel). Four bladed, compact braodheads seem to do that best from my X bows. My current preference is Slick Tricks magnums.

Quick Reply: disabled newbie needing info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.