Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I need some help

Old 11-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Spike

Default I need some help

hello to all

i am new to this part of the forum but due to a recent dislocatoin of my shoulder and shoulder surgery scheduled for around christmas bow hunting has ended for me.............i love bow hunting and due plan on going back to it once my shoulder is fully recovered but to be able to stay in the woods i am going to have to purchase a crossbow............I hunt whitetail deer and would want a cross bow that shoots good to fifty yards with the possibile shots maybe further? i dunno how much arrow speed matters or the draw weight but with shoulder surgery i would want something pretty easy to pull......i would want a crossbow that is somewhat quite and a good durable bow.........thanks to all of the input you all are the experts and as you can see i dont know to much but have an avid love for hunting that i want to continue to have

thanks again
Old 11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I need some help

If your hunting deer, IN MY OPINION there is no crossbow that is good to 50 yards with possible further shots. A crossbow has the effective range as a compound, 30 - 35 yards for deer. The time it takes for the arrow to travel out to 50 yards a deer can easily move over half it's body length, putting the arrow into a non lethal shot, or better yet, a complete miss. Even if a deer does not react to the shot (sound of bow or arrow), the normal actions of a deer (walking, turning ect) can move the deer far enough for a bad hit.

Todays crossbows can hit accurate well out there, past what you are looking for, but these are on a fixed target. You have no control of the actions of the deer and if it moves after you release the arrow. If you are determined to shoot deer at 50 yards, archery is not the tool for you.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

"would want a cross bow that shoots good to fifty yards with the possibile shots maybe further?" Bad Joss! Not a reasonable range expectation on white tail. Still have string jump to contend w/. Good luck on your further research.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Spike

i have hunted with a regular compound bow i know the respectable range i have wrote this to see what options there are out there i dont know much about crossbows and the help would be appreciated for a good crossbow so help not criticism would be nice thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

711..Iam also new to crossbows and have bought two,a excal and 10point both capable bows out to 50 yrds on a target,but you have to remember that when a deer takes off it will drop 1/3 of its hight when it takes off,hence the reason alot of people miss 0n longer and not so longshots,a crossbow is not a quit bow therfore alot of CB users keep thier shots under 30 yrds.Go shoot afew differant CB's and you will see for yourself that they are loud...I was amazed at how loud they were over my compound.My shots are all under 25yrds even with the CB I will keep them under 25yrds on game.
Good luck and just ask alot of ?'s,we are all here to help.....
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Spike

Hi, I would look at an excalibur, The phoenix is 300fps, they have a crankaroo that makes it ez to cock, recurve so you can change strings without a bow press, very accurate. I have an exocet and love it, had a horton, glad to get rid of it.

Goodluck, Stan
Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 PM

A friend of mine has a nice High Country I think and it is super quite. He has taken nice long shots on deer and been ok, but when his compound is shot is just makes a nice light wisp sound, mainly from the arrow. You will not find any CB that is even close to being quite as a compound so longer shots are real hard to get away with. You find a quite CB and let us know, cause we would all like one too! LOL!! its not the power, but the noise and string jump is a big issue we all battle with, knowing are CB's are great out to fifty yards, but knowing we risk bad shots much over thirty. I have a Excal and would recommend it to anyone. I also own two Horton's and think there CB's are fine too, but enjoy my recurve style Excal better.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

My Desert Stryker is pretty quiet shooting. (when the limbs aren't poping) But I still wouldn't try a deer at 50 with it.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should point out that there is a cocking devise that enables one to shoot a vert like a crossbow. In fact I saw a vidio of a person with one arm using it. Do a search.
X bows are not quiet as a rule, not like a vert. You will experience what sound like a lot of noise the fist time you shoot one. There isn't much you can do about that. Speed of bolt compensates somewhat but not for shots past 35 yards or so. To get over 300 fps you're looking at a bow that has a pull weight of 150 lbs (compound) and 200 for a recurve. Given your shoulder (I have same issue) you'll need a cocking aid, at least initially. You may also consider the prospect that you won't be able to pull a vert repeatedly after the operation, making practice and shots more difficult. (Happened too me). So buy a quality bow. You can sell it for llittle loss if things work out as planned.
Regardless if this temporary or not, I'd look at a qaulity bow (Exca, Parker, Ten Point). Excal is simpler to maintain but bigger overall. How you hunt may determine your choice. The compounts are smaller overall so handier in a stand or blind. And shoot as many as you can before you buy to determine how they fit you and the quailty of their trigger. IMO a smooth and predictable trigger release is most important to good accuracy.
But your expectations fo shooting beyond 40 yards may be problematic. I realze that some vert shooters are now shooting out to 70 yards. Personally, I have more respect for game.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The device I mentioned for cocking vertical bows is called the Draw Loc. It's on a web site by the same name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.