Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Which nock style?

Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Which nock style?

Am new to this forum and new to dabbling with crossbows. Have been using a PSE compound for the last 8 years with an over-draw, so nock choice has been straight-forward. Crossbow bolts/arrows are a different color cat altogether. For my PSE Thunderbolt, I use XX75's (26") with the normal style nocks so that's pretty much a no-brainer. But for our crossbows, my partner and I have been having some accuracy issues with the crescent/half-moon style nocks. We went to the flat-faced type plastic nock (Ten-point) and those seem to give the accuracy we're after. Is there some sort of alignment method for the crescent style nock that produces better arrow/bolt flight? I realize that if the nock is not aligned correctly accuracy will suffer, and we've seen that. Anyway, I'd like to hear about you folks' choice for nocks.

Thanks,
Old 11-26-2007, 12:47 PM

Default RE: Which nock style?

I will try to answer your question, but having a hard time reading your print!

Try not to pick a smaller print size, some guys are going to have a hard time reading your post.

I may have missed it, but what CB are you shooting? Nock has to do with the claw release for most CB's. A upper release claw needs to have flat nocks, lower release can do both on most CB's. The other factor is rail style. Horton is the only one I know of that does this, but that have a deeper cut arrow groove in the rail. then the end of rail is normal. This acts like a rest set up and if you use flat nocks on this style you will have problems. Most all of the newer Horton's are like this I think.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

I will try to answer your question, but having a hard time reading your print!

Try not to pick a smaller print size, some guys are going to have a hard time reading your post.

I may have missed it, but what CB are you shooting? Nock has to do with the claw release for most CB's. A upper release claw needs to have flat nocks, lower release can do both on most CB's. The other factor is rail style. Horton is the only one I know of that does this, but that have a deeper cut arrow groove in the rail. then the end of rail is normal. This acts like a rest set up and if you use flat nocks on this style you will have problems. Most all of the newer Horton's are like this I think.
Here's the deal on nocks, to expound on Jasons explanation. If your claws swing up above rail, the bow takesflat nocks as physics make the string slide down onto the rail. Youcan use the half moon style w/ this type bow, but the consensus of opinion seems to be that flat nocks will give a little better accuracy. If the claws flip down into the rail, the string tends to want to rise some and those type bows usually call for half moon nocks to insure you don't have a partial or total dry fire. There are some exceptions to this rule of thumb, and there are people who disregard this and have for ever, their call, lol.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:02 PM

Have to admit I messed that one up, Dan is right, when I said it I had it back wards! Flat nocks and a lower release is a set up for the string jumping over the arrow on release right Dan? I think I remember that right, could be messing that up to! LOL!!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM

We have been shooting a Horton and a Barnett. The Horton is out of service at the moment due to a blown up limb where it came apart where the wheel spindle hole was drilled.
Keep in mind, these were our feeble choices for entry level bows to see whether the interest will stick. So far, the interest is sticking and the learning curve is getting very interesting. Looks like the flat nocks will be a good all-around choice.
Thanks,
Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome 1st of all.
There are afew guys on here that can help you with your pick of bows......Good luck

Old 11-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ElevatedPredator

We have been shooting a Horton and a Barnett. The Horton is out of service at the moment due to a blown up limb where it came apart where the wheel spindle hole was drilled.
Keep in mind, these were our feeble choices for entry level bows to see whether the interest will stick. So far, the interest is sticking and the learning curve is getting very interesting. Looks like the flat nocks will be a good all-around choice.
Thanks,
Lol, have fun, but both of those brands call for halfmoon nocked arrows.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: ElevatedPredator

Thanks,
At least you have a sense of humor! LOL!!

Plenty of good info in here just ask and keep looking. How did the limb blow up on the Horton? Did you dry fire it? Never heard of Horton's just blowing up unless dry fire or to light of a arrow.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

My Ten Point Titan calls for Flat Nocks,but I've always used Half Moon and like them.

big rockpile
Old 11-27-2007, 12:57 PM

The Horton limb gave up while it was cocked and hanging from a peg in a tree-stand. We've both been shooting compound bows since the Bear Whitetail hunter made the scene, so we both understand quite well (thank you) about dry-firing a compound. The hole drilled for the pulley spindle on the left limb exploded and came apart (delaminated). Scared the bejeezuz out of my hunting partner. He's been in touch with the CEO at Horton. This guy sent him a new bow with metal ends on the limbs and the off-set spindle. Obviously a weakdesign on the other x-bow.
It's our plan to actually try some of these bows that get bad-mouthed to actually see for ourselves whether the verbage is warranted. Not everyone can afford or needs a $2,000 Ten-point package.

Quick Reply: Which nock style?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.