Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Deer hunting when it's warm out?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer hunting when it's warm out?

I've heard of the Thernacells. I may look into one. Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

I always try to process my deer within a hour of killing it when it is somewhat warm
Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 AM

I bought one a few weeks ago and only did some back yard testing and it worked. Took it to the swamp spot last Thursday when setting up a blind and it is top notch!! There was swarms around of them things and not a one one me!! It is definitely a early season tool to have! Took it out last night, but it was kinda rainy and windy so they where not out anyways.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thermacell Tip: Mal-Wart sells the same butane bottles for a fraction of the Thermacell price in the ladies hair curler dept.

Iget frosting buckets from the bakery at my Mal-Wart, use them only for putting meat in off of deer, ect. I hunt less than 8 miles from home, don't field dress or gut at all, just skin and butcher. It's too warm here most of the time to do anything else.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds like now is a good time to learn to quarter your deer if you don't already, first get the hide off, remove the backstraps and tenders, I put these in a seperate bag then remove the front quarters, bag em then the hinds bag each hind seperatly,"you will need a saw to cut the legs off and to remove the hinds" then into the cooler they go each in a seperate bag water tight , as not to let the water in .pack ice all around each bag, as the ice melts drain and add more , being prepared is the trick, a couple extra coolers full of block ice is a good idea . this is if you are away from home , also you could debone the quarters and put on ice thats what I do, takes less room in the cooler. good luck.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Thermacell Tip: Mal-Wart sells the same butane bottles for a fraction of the Thermacell price in the ladies hair curler dept.
Iread about thistip a while back and then realizeda major flaw when I was in the checkout line. While you can get the butane bottles for half the cost you cannot get the blue pads. Without the pads the butane is pretty useless. If only there was a substitute or if you could purchase the pads separately.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: b_in_atl

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Iread about thistip a while back and then realizeda major flaw when I was in the checkout line. While you can get the butane bottles for half the cost you cannot get the blue pads. Without the pads the butane is pretty useless. If only there was a substitute or if you could purchase the pads separately.
Like I said, I've never fired mine up, but the guys here that do this regularly claim to run out of butane before pads.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Good tips here fellows,

I plan to pack bags of ice in the cavity's, tarp it, get home and buttcher it and in the fridge it goes till the meat bleeds out for a couple of days. From ther it goes in th freezer minus the back strips which go to the grill.

Also, I got a PM that several deer have been found deed from EHD in Southern Ohio. I had never heard of it until I got a tip from a fellow hunter here. I looked it up and apparently it's a disease that seems to be spreading around some what this year.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Therma cell is a must here in Florida.I just butcher my deer in the back yard and get it into a cooler as fast as I can.We always hunt in warm weather,I love it when there is frost on the ground.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Spike

I use a Thermacell religiously. It works, no more detestable mosquitoes....

Quick Reply: Deer hunting when it's warm out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.