Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Tn Benefit Shoot

Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tn Benefit Shoot

Smoke and me got there about 5 pm Fri night. 667 miles from my house which I left at 5 am. Checked into motel and went to range. We helped a guy w/ a Horton and ended up selling him a Horton scope.

They had bag targets set up at 20,25,30,35,40, and 45 from a stake. there was a picnic table nearby, but that increased the ranges some, just enough to drive us and the Horton guy nuts. these bag targets had dots on them about the size of a poker chip. Since I can't get past 30 yds at my house w/o major hassle, I was wanting to try the Phoenix/ Leupold 2x7 at farther ranges for big shoot the next day. My first shot at 50 was in the black, have azzed rested on picnic table using a range finder for a sand bag. Next two were out but good enough.

Next day we went to the shgoot. We shot 3-D first and due to the heat, humidity, and my physical condition [fat] I bailed out half way through, Smoke finished w/ good score. Tough course.

Next was the "dot shoot". They had a polar bear about 2 1/2 foot tall, maybe 8-10" wide set up at what turned out to be 81 yds. There was a 2 1/2" target on his chest. $2.00 a pop, 1st place was choice of a new compound vert bow or half the $ pot. Smoke couldn't shoot this one as his vert hair was wider than the bear, lol. We watched the vert crowd launch a slew of arrows, only heard one guy hit the bear. I'm not sure how many $2.00 shots I took, and probably wouldn't tewll you the truth if I knew, lol, fair to say we coulda got steaks and drinks easy on the fee's, lol. I noticed this was being held on apparently their 100 yd range, as there was a bag target way back at the end of it. I then pegged the bear at 80 yds. I ended up w/ one shot 1/4" high, one 3/4" low and the third in the bear somewhere. 3 shots offhand at 81 yds in that target was priceless to me having never shot TARGETS at that kind of ranges before.

We have no idea how well we placed as we left the shoot at 2:30 pm and headed home. Don't know or care about winning or losing as I would donate winnings back to this bunch that's gonna send an American Veteran w/ one arm and leg hunting w/ xbow.

I decided to post this due to pm's from some of y'all, so please don't look at this like I'm blowing my own horn, lol, I was at least $20 into this before I pegged the range.

Almost forgot one of the high lights of the event. Disabled Sportsman of America put this on, sponsored somewhat by Horton xbows, don't know to what degree, but we got to watch them present a free Horton set up to a disabled guy in wheelchair. Nary a dry eye under the tent!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tn Benefit Shoot

I concur, totally! We had a great time and heck of tough course to shoot fer our first time!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Don't know or care about winning or losing as I would donate winnings back to this bunch that's gonna send an American Veteran w/ one arm and leg hunting w/ xbow.

I decided to post this due to pm's from some of y'all, so please don't look at this like I'm blowing my own horn, lol, I was at least $20 into this before I pegged the range.
That's not surprising at all Dan and Mike! You two are good guys in my books!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to someone at DSA, by pm to me. A shooter unnamed hit polar Bear 3 times once in the X 2 others so close it was a 2" group! If pigs had wings they would fly! That someone must have been high when they told that!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smoke: "MossyOak" cut the edge of the target but no one hit it enough to count for a win. One heck of a nice shot by the gentleman.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:28 PM

Sounds like you two had a good time, glad to hear about it!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

great story. ty for sharing. sounds like a real good time.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

3 shots offhand at 81 yds in that target was priceless to me having never shot TARGETS at that kind of ranges before.
Smooth..lol [:-]
Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you two had a good time and kicked butt. Glad to hear it.