Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

recocking bow in stand

Old 09-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default recocking bow in stand

Was curious for those that use cocking ropes or like myself who do it by hand, how do you recock your Xbow while in a tree stand after a shot?

I have a couple 1 man ladder stands I can hunt from, and one 2 man ladder stand which will over more room but don't use it often.

Just something I was thinking about.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Default RE: recocking bow in stand

Hi there , i use the string cocker and hunt out of larger stands on the farm, with enough room as to make it safe for recocking. Most of the stands i have made are about 4foot by 5. But if i was in a small ladder stand i would most likely cock the bow on the ground to be safe.
I always use a harness for saftey too, just in case i take one step to far.
Saftey first always, means more hunting
Old 09-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually the problem with recocking is alot of stands have expanded metal and the stirup slides from metal to metal contact. If you have a crankaroo just lay CB over safety rail and crank away!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Correct on the expanded metal. That also bothers me on nice frosty morning climbing up into the stand, and also walking to my stand my boots will collect some nice bits ofdirt and sand.If your not careful moving your feet on the platform it will knock these bits off alerting every deer for 20 miles. Now I try to make sure my boots are super clean when I start to climb up.

Learned that one the hard way last yr being the first yr I ever hunted from a stand.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM

I like hunting in wooden stands but they have their faults too. On those soggy drizzle rain days the wood can get quite slick, and grow slippery moss if unatended for long, i always go out and take a quick inspection of the stands and make repairs as needed. I think im a bit lucky were i hunt i dont have to move around to much, the deer seemfunnel in about three
locations.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

rubber boots are slippery.
i used to glue felt insoles onto bottom of my rubber boots but got away from it..
this is why i always use my safety rope when in a tree around my waist and i glue carpeting down on floor to keep from slipping..
at 12 years old, heck, no problem hanging from a limb ,now, no way...