Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

Doesan 80# pistol crossbow have enough power for hunting squirrels and other small game? All of my shot would be within 20ft.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

I would say so. I had one of those a long time ago when I was a kid and shot the neighbors cat (sorry miss Kemp) so i would think yes for small game. Nothing more though. Those dont have what it takes for larger game. They are Ok to tinker with. You must live in town to get 20 feet from a tree rat.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

reckon its stout enough but it is it accurate? How about the trigger is it smooth pull 3 to 4 lbs.?
Old 08-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what the trigger pull is. I was thinking of bying a cheap one off of EBAY for $20
Old 08-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK just sumpen to piddle with and terrorize local tree rats.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: scpatterson

I would say so. I had one of those a long time ago when I was a kid and shot the neighbors cat (sorry miss Kemp) so i would think yes for small game. Nothing more though. Those dont have what it takes for larger game. They are Ok to tinker with. You must live in town to get 20 feet from a tree rat.
I don't live in a town. I want to bring it with me when I go bow-hunting. To take care of those pesky squirrels that yell at you.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

OK just sumpen to piddle with and terrorize local tree rats.
Exactly...
Old 08-26-2007, 06:13 PM

If you live out of town and think you can get real close then maybe, but that is a big maybe IMO. I would error on the safe side and say no though. What is your reason for doing this is what you need to ask yourself. If you live in town then I would say a big no no!! The last thing you need is a tree rat running from your yard to the neighbors yard with a ten inch dart dragging out of it's rear end. That would be bad publicity and could get you in trouble with the police or neighbors real quick. If you live in town and have a squirrel problem that you need to work on then I would get a good 100 dollar BB pellet gun and you should be able to get the job done in close range and are quiet to. Also if you did have a bad shot then you would not have a arrow dragging by the back side causing problems for you. I would say if in town, live trap, then pellet gun if you must. Out of town maybe, but why not a .22? You just need to think of a bad out come and the less evidence the better for you.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Just read all the replies that happened while I made mine, yes you could have fun with them while in stand. But the more fun you have with them while in stand the less deer you will see. They are probably real quiet and a wounded tree rat will make any deer scatter IMO.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

If you live out of town and think you can get real close then maybe, but that is a big maybe IMO. I would error on the safe side and say no though. What is your reason for doing this is what you need to ask yourself. If you live in town then I would say a big no no!! The last thing you need is a tree rat running from your yard to the neighbors yard with a ten inch dart dragging out of it's rear end. That would be bad publicity and could get you in trouble with the police or neighbors real quick. If you live in town and have a squirrel problem that you need to work on then I would get a good 100 dollar BB pellet gun and you should be able to get the job done in close range and are quiet to. Also if you did have a bad shot then you would not have a arrow dragging by the back side causing problems for you. I would say if in town, live trap, then pellet gun if you must. Out of town maybe, but why not a .22? You just need to think of a bad out come and the less evidence the better for you.
I want something that I can bring along when deer hunting that won't spook the deer. I don't want to shoot my Carbon Express at a squirrel and losea $10 arrow.

Quick Reply: Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.