Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

110 Yards?? Wow

Old 08-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 110 Yards?? Wow

Old 08-08-2007, 10:06 PM

Personally I not only agree with the simple statement from RWK that this should not be a topic of discussion but I think as a crossbow shooter and hunter myself that taking 100 yard shots whether hunting or sporting is rediculous and inacurate at BEST including Olympic shooters. They used to say that indians could hit targets at 100 yards with thier hand made long bows. So what! Stand out there at 100 yards and let anyone shoot at you and eventually someone might stick you. But not before the sun sets a couple times. Who cares. The Irish men do this because they lost thier right to hunt. Now do you want the same thing?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Concealing the truth is stupid. It's the same as lying. Lying is an excellent way to sew the seeds of mistrust and generate a virulent backlash against what you are trying to accomplish.

Besides, anyone who's ever read the slightest bit of history from midieval times through the Renaissance already knows the crossbow is fully capable of long distance shooting. This is NOT new information fellas. IT'S IN THE FREAKIN' HISTORY BOOKS! You gonna burn them because you're afraid of the truth??

All you are doing is showing your weakness.

The TRUTH is, some folks like shooting targets at long range with their crossbows. Some folks like shooting targets at long range with their conventional bows. In warfare, both bows and crossbows were used at extended distances. But when we talk about HUNTING, both bows and crossbows are short distance weapons. Compared to modern compounds, crossbows have very similar capabilities and limitations.

Now. Rather than lie about it, we've told the truth. Instead of a weakness, it's now a strength. We've pointed out yet another commonality between crossbows and compounds.

And best of all, it's all out in the open and we have nothing to hide. Now, don't we all feel better?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don.. Put down the popcorn and back away slowly. I don't know anyone who uses this forum who would suggest that 110 yards is a realistic shot, but it is quite interesting that the shot can even be made.
Note: I tried a couple of eighty yard shots yesterday and even my 3D deer jumps the string. Geez, I can't even see 100 yards and I certainly wasn't baiting anyone..
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>Whack!!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 AM

I agree with Arthur! Why conceal what is the truth, the compounds have long rang contest all them time! Why should we hide it when its for fun? As long as you are not shooting at deer that far, I should not feel that I have to be oppressed with what I can do! The fellow hunters that fall into the anti category will just have to deal with it!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hello, hello anyone listening! Folks there is some difference between shooting targets and hunting. No matter what the range in yds. OK, those Bow shooters have shot hundred yd. targets for years, doesn't make a wit what Bow you use. Those who can't tell target shooting from hunting are the very ones that need to be run out from all Bow shooting. They be the same type that does things they don't ever want others to know about![]
Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

I should have learned a long time ago to stay away from threads like this..[:@]

I love to read about long range shooting, I love to read about short range shooting, and everything in between. The problem arises when someone comes along and skims through a thread like this and all they see is that a crossbow can effectively shoot over 100 yards. They will not see a difference between a live target or a foam block, just the simple fact that the arrow can go 100+ yards and hit it's "target". The first reaction is "who cares what they think" then comes their opinion, that a bow is a short range weapon and a crossbow can shoot 100+ yards.. Only hunters really know the difference between a live target and an inanimate one, the rest of the world will only see it as alive.
Again, I am not against long range shooting, but you are sacrificing a small part of your claim that a crossbow is only a short range weapon. You have to step back and look at this thread from a persons perspective that have never hunted or handled a bow/crossbow.
The crossbow is a growing sport, the people that are trying to push it into the common area of bowhunting continuously use the the argument that there are no advantages to the crossbow over a compound, threads like this do not help their case.
Sometimes being discreet is a good choice, as an example my old work truck is fully capable of going 100 miles per hour, by not announcing thatdoes not make mea "liar", I am simply retaining information that is in my best interest to retain.
I say keep up the great work with the long range shooting, it tells me the capabilities of my bow without me having to lose the arrows myself. I am fortunate to live in a place where crossbows are considered equal to a compound, so the anti's who will use threads like this as ammunition wont be able to use it against me, but there are some people out there who are constantly swimming upstream trying to convince the world the crossbow is a short range shooting tool to gain ground in a fight to hunt with it.
You have to keep in mind that this isn't a private club we belong to, this is the world wide web, and also keep in mind that not everyone who comes along is going to readevery detail of the thread, just skim through it and come to the obvious conclusion that a crossbow is indeed a long range tool.
Shoot safe!
David
Old 08-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh my! Heaven forbid these page skimmers stumble upon the National Archery Association's official records page on the internet... They would discover the fact that there is crossbow competition under the auspices of the NAA where they regularly compete at distances out to 90 meters - about a fuzz-and-a-half more than 98 yards. Shocking that they could be so indiscrete as to post this info for ALL to see!

Old 08-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I'm far from an expert... BUT in the groups shown it looks like the bolts are going straight into the target. Shouldn't they be entering at somewhat of a downward angle at that distance.
Plus, isn't that a lot of penetration at that distance?
Hope some of you guys do some long range tests and see what the entry angle is.

xbowbarry
Old 08-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

I would suspect the difference is that this is a hunting forum, not the NAA.
"Huntingnet.com, the ultimate hunting community" Says so right on the first page.

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Oh my! Heaven forbid these page skimmers stumble upon the National Archery Association's official records page on the internet... They would discover the fact that there is crossbow competition under the auspices of the NAA where they regularly compete at distances out to 90 meters - about a fuzz-and-a-half more than 98 yards. Shocking that they could be so indiscrete as to post this info for ALL to see!

Quick Reply: 110 Yards?? Wow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.