Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

hunting from the ground

Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting from the ground

I've gotten both deer and turkey with the x-bow in a ground blind. I really like them for many reasons - safety, scent control, comfort, ease of sleeping on the ground . The only thing I don't like about ground blinds is the lack of visibility. I've had deer walk right up on me before I knew they were there - you really have to be on your toes.

I've hunted on the ground without a blind - very challenging, but it is also possible to get deer this way.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure use a tree most of the time but I love a good ground blind. I saw alot of deer last season sitting on a five gallon bucket in a blind made of camo burlap from Wally World. The stuff is only 15 ft. long but with a little creativity and a little brush you can make a fine blind.
I have already put up a couple of new ones in some real swampy stuffwhere tree stands are just not gonna work. They really only last a season but at $15.00 bucks so what. PLUS... nothing to steal if some
%$&* finds it.
I also have a little pop up blind but it is so small I have to lean out the windows to shoot...
OH YES!!! A ground blind can be quite warm on a cold morning which I like cause the older I get the colder I get.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: big rockpile

I don't like Ground Blinds.I've just been watching where I set up..............
I set down in the fork of a blowed down Tree,shot the Deer coming by the top of it.

The next one I was setting under a Cedar .........................

big rockpile
big rockpile,
It sounds as if you use ground blinds, just the natural kind.

xbowbarry
Old 08-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I've never hunted from anyplace but the ground being a gimp. I've had different types of ground blinds through the years because my Yellow Lab Service Dog goes with me. This year my wife is going also. So I just bought two Camo-in-a-Bag. It'll fit over me and my wheelchair. The other will cover my tiny wife and Dog. Now we'll all have to bath in Baking Soda and I'll have to bath my chair in same before I go. Just bought a new supply of scent killer and will cover everything and everyone with that. I just need some new Insulated Rubber Boots. Any suggestions with Links?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

hunting with bow from ground, your only problem is wind and getting hidden.

both at times, dont matter.
1 time is during rut...
on ground you can move to deer, not deer to you..
tree, deer must come to you..

these new blinds on ground seem to hold your scent.
that allows deer to come much closer..

secret to hunting from ground is to be patience and making sure wind is in your face not at your back...

i saw and missed with a bow some of the biggest bucks while hunting from ground...
in a tree, you are stuck there,hoping all your plans work out and buck comes close for shot..

on ground, you can see a buck,crawl on your stomach, i am getting to old for that now and ticks,and get close for shot or move to his trail and wait for him to walk by...

i like hunting in tree but yes, its a lot of work to set up,on ground, you can move to action not action to you...
THAT is a big plus and sproul always hunts on ground when RUT comes,no way to pattern a buck in HEAT....

i hear all my friends say,OH THAT BUCK IS RUTTING, HE WOULD NOT STOP CLOSE FOR SHOT FROM MY TREE WITH BOW..

on ground, you can pattern a rutting buck more than you can sitting in 1 spot in tree....
Old 08-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Gimphunter

I've never hunted from anyplace but the ground being a gimp. I've had different types of ground blinds through the years because my Yellow Lab Service Dog goes with me. This year my wife is going also. So I just bought two Camo-in-a-Bag. It'll fit over me and my wheelchair. The other will cover my tiny wife and Dog. Now we'll all have to bath in Baking Soda and I'll have to bath my chair in same before I go. Just bought a new supply of scent killer and will cover everything and everyone with that. I just need some new Insulated Rubber Boots. Any suggestions with Links?
here is site to good friend of mine and he has cheapest and best boots sold and cheap shipping...

my favorite rubber boot is LACROOSE ALPHA BURLY..

i like unisulated ones for deer and grouse/pheasant hunting..
i use 1500 gram ones for winter deer hunting...

well, here we go........................

www.bootbox.com