Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

crossbow recoil?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 AM

Default RE: crossbow recoil?

Well fellas , it does happen for sure.....!
My dad left here the past weekend with a bloody " rite between the eye's".....gotcha. Happens every year to him.
Yeppp , this was from his Horton Super Max 175 and the Horton multi scope.

The scope is trash....we tried zeroing it in at 20 yards , was shooting about 2 inches to the left of center.....I adjusted it.....took 360 degrees clicks from where I started to bring it back on center....finally got it shooting "rite on".
Mind you , this is bench rested.

The next day we shot it again....now it's shooting 2 inches to the right.....unreal......time for a new scope. Just won't stabilize, no happy medium.
To top things off , my dad has sent this Horton xbow back to the Horton factory 7 times.....yes 7 times.....last time they replaced the limbs.
Customer service is great.....but what good is it if they can't fix their own products. Now I guess my dad gotta send the scope back. This Horton xbow has been a " nightmare".....period.
This is not to bash Horton , as I know there are many happy Horton shooters out there that are quite satisfied.
My dad REFUSES to shoot my EXOCET 200 anymore.....says it spoils him too much when he has to shoot his Horton again.
BOB in PA.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 AM

Another thing that can help with the Dial-a-range is the pivot screw coming loose. If you notice just below your weaver rail there is a Allen screw that goes all the way through to the other side of the rail. This is the pivot point for the Dial-a-range set up. One problem I was having was I also was getting some side to side movement when I would shoot from time to time. I noticed I could take the entire scope and rock it from side to side a little. I found that this pivot/mounting Allen had came loose. Tightened it up and a month later it was loose again! If you get it to tight your Dial-a-Range willnot work, which may not be all bad, but this is a pivot point for it, and nothing holds the scope in place and if you over tighten and then bump the end of scope you can have the affect of using the dial-a-rang, but it getting stuck in the elevated position. Anyways, back to story, you need to tighten that screw and put some lock tight on it and that will help with some of the side to side movement, that is if the scope is OK, it helped me,could be your dads problem too.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 AM

Well Hotburn76 thanks for the info .....I'll check that pin / little bolt on his xbow next time we get together. I did check for any movement in the scope....front to back and side to side.....didn't see or feel any play.
It really seems that the POI is changing by heat and or humidity really.....had that bugger shooting right on for 5 final shots......put it carefully away.....next morning shot again, was off again , not even close to where it was the night before.
Don't get me wrong , he likes the bow , and I'm glad he does.....but I know he'll get frustrated soon and buy another scope for it, probably a cheap red dot type.
BOB in PA
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

my exocet does have a bit of a kick.