Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Scope Question

Old 08-06-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Scope Question

I might begetting a new scope, I just do not like reddots. I was thinking about the Horton 4x32 Mult-A-Range instead of the red dot. Any other Horton users have any advice on this or of any other scope that can be put on my Horton?

Edit: After doing more research, my Horton uses a 7/8" Weaver style base. Would I have to use the Horton base and then mount the other manufacturers scope on it?

Here is what I am considering:

Horton Multi-Range 4x32
Tenpoint Proview
Excalibur Vari-Zone

Any comments or would any of these not work with a Horton Explorer HD 150?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope Question

Have a look at the LumiZone too, it gives you a lighted reticule on demand. Assuming you have a Weaver base, you will need 1'' rings for the others.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Cossack, I'd definitely want the Lumizone over the Varizone.

While I like the Tenpoint Proview because of the crosshairs and the illumination I am worried I will not be able to sight it to my crossbow since it states it is calibrated for crossbows around 300 fps and mine is 270 fps.

I guess it's been narrowed down to the Horton Multi-Range 4x32 and the Lumizone. Anyone have any opinions on either?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 AM

I had the Horton scope on my super max!75 and it was OK at best. It was a little off at the thirty and forty yard lines. The twenty was set on the main hairs but the others are fixed and they do not adjust so I disliked being off a little on the 30 and 40 if I did not remember which way to hold over or under. When I first joined this site the Excal's guys turned me on to the Varizone and I put it on the super max and loved it. You can adjust it for any speed CB and it will be nuts on out to fifty, no more holding under or over. You can get the best prices on them at BHSS, they are alot cheaper then cabelas. I have the Lumizone on the Vortex and love it just as much. The ability to use the scope with out the power on is a big plus to me. I hated being in a tree and the batteries be dead on a red dot!

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_151&products_id=320
Old 08-06-2007, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping you would chime in Hotburn. From what you have said and what I have read about the LumiZone I think that is what I am going to get. The fact I can fine tune it to my 270 fps crossbow was the deciding factor. No more of this 8 - 12 yards depending on speed of crossbow for dots or crosshairs.

Now if I can ask one more question to make sure I order the right thing.

Do I need do get this Scope Mount Kit made by Hortonand then attach the LumiZone scope to it or would I need to get this one from Excalibur?

Thanks Again!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 AM

One thing that will determine what you need is what do you currently have? If you already have a red dot on it then youhave a good chance of having theHorton weaver base on your bow already. You said in you above post you have a red dot so you maynot need to buy therail for yours.If the person you bought the CB off of bought it as a package deal with the red dot scope on it you may have what Horton sold as the red dot with a "integral" mount. It is basically like a red dot scope with that base you see in the link molded to it, saved Horton the cost of a set of rings. You need to take your CB and look at it. If it has a weaver style rail you will be able to see it plain as day, also you will be able to see the rings bolted to it and clamping it to your red dot. If you see no rings and no weaver rail then you need the Horton scope mount kit you posted, if you have the rail then you just need a set of one inch rings for a 7/8 weaver base. Here is the last tricky catch, but just want to cover all the bases for you. If you have a old Horton then there is a chance you may have a 3/8inch weaver base, my old super mag had one. If you have that then you will need to go to any sporting goods store and get some one inch rings for a 3/8 inch base, its the same ones for .22 cal rifles. The Excal kit will not work on a Horton CB since its mounting set up is different, buy this I mean only the bracket. But a set of Excal's one inch weaver base rings will work as long as you have the 7/8 inch weaver base on your CB. Sorry this was so long, but you need to look at your CB and see what it has on it. I don't want to tell you what to get and then you wait a week on the brown Santa and then are still unable to use it! That always sucks!!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Excal mounts only fit Excals, get the Horton one. I've gone thru two of Hortons 4x xbow scopes, fogged up both times, V-zone or L-zone is the answer.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 AM

Also, if you are still unsure, take some up close pics and we will try to help you out some more if we can.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 AM

I looked on Horton's website and the Red Dot scope i have says its the integral mount.
I guess I will need to get the scope mounting kit.

Will the Horton 1" rings work or should I go ahead and get the Excalibur 1" rings?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM

Thats not a good post Brett! Did I confuse you even more! LOL!!

Quick Reply: Scope Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.