Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Easton Carbon Power Bolts ???

Old 08-01-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Easton Carbon Power Bolts ???

Has any one tried the new Easton Carbon Power Bolts ??
Bow Hunters Super store has them $ 50.00 a dozen.
20 inch carbon bolts with 5 inch veins, flat base with inserts.
I ordered a dozen just to check them out.
I just wanted to know if anyone has already tried them.
Thanks.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Easton Carbon Power Bolts ???

I have shot dozens of Power Bolts and they shoot better than I do at 30 yds. I forget the weight with a 100gr. points but with a $4.99 each price tag I'm very happy.
I am sure that if you are a very competent shooter than there are better bolts out there. Most of these guys are picky about the arrows they shootbut they want their bow to do everything it possibly can.
I have not shot the aluminum Easton arrows but I think Smoke does. Not sure ifhe buys them or just uses Easton shafts.
PS... The Power Bolts work real fine and are easy to find. I just pick them up on the other side of the deer.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 AM
KLS
Fork Horn

I shoot beman thunder bolts which are basically the same thing as the easton power bolts, I've never been a big fan of carbon arrows and I'm fairly new to crossbows and am still learning the in and outs of their setups and what works, and works best, but I've built alot of arrows for both my compounds and recurves and am learning very fast what works for crossbows...

one of my 20" thunder boltswith 5" vanes, solid alumin nock and 100gr points came out to 424.5 gr, the bad thing is that they come out with a FOC of around 8 1/2% built that way, the arrows I put together are the same bolt with 4" feathers at a 5deg offset, threaded inserts instead of solid ones for nocks and 125gr points, nothing fancy...
the feathers and insert drop about 30gr off the back of the arrow andusing 125gr points as opposed to the 100gr points adds it back but to the front of the arrow, with that setup I get about 420gr arrows with a FOC of just over 12%
I've thought about trying some brass inserts or machining my own weights and/or inserts,playing around with different broadhead weights(maybe some 85gr)andmaybe trying some plastic nocks or shaving down the existing ones or something but with how these arrows came out Ireally dont see the need, maybe if I already had 100grbroadheads to work around it would pay to do that but I have yet to buy broadheads for my crossbow so I'll just pick upsome 125's and be done with it

I also have some 2216's set up basically the same way as my thunder bolts and just for comparisonone of my2216's weighs in at 438.5 gr and has a FOC ofjust under 11%, all my 2216's came from bare shafts that I fleched with feathers so I dont know what they would actually weigh with vanes as they never had any on them, on my scale a 5" vane weighs 9gr and a 4" feather weighs 3gr so my guess is they would weigh around 456.5gr with 5" vanes
whats kind of weirdis that I shoot 30 1/2" easton 2114's with the same 4" feathers and 85gr NAP thunderhead broadheads in my compound and they weigh(I just rechecked) 436.8gr, there ended up being only a 2gr difference between my compound arrows and my alumin crossbow arrows

I havent tried paper tuning either setup(and dont know if its even fesible with crossbow arrows) but from eyeballing themboth of my setups flystraightand true,have straight on impact with the target, theres no difference in the POI between the carbon and the alumin, and they should be heavy enough without being too heavy, I couldnt be happier... both setups work great and if I decide I dont like the carbons I have the alumin 2216s to fall back on but I wouldnt be a bit afraid to hunt with either one...

I wanted to add that the other(and more important) reason I use threaded inserts for nocks is that my fletcher requires a string nock on the arrow to lock intoits base to hold and rotate the arrow during fletching, I took a field point and machined a nock into the end of it which locks into the base of my fleacher(just like a sring nock) that way I can just screw that into the threaded insert I use for nocks and it gives me an exact point every time for when I have to re-fletch just one or two feathers, when I'm done re-fletching I just unthread the "adapter" and its good to go until next time, it took a little messing around and a few tries to get it right but it works great

Old 08-05-2007, 11:49 AM

I shoot the Vapor Crossfire all Carbon.
30-06 = 95-195lb. weight 13.9 gr/ in. o.d. .344 i.d. .272
Tipped with the Trophy Ridge Rocket Wolverine 75gr Machanical

I use an Excalibur Exo Max 225# 350 fps. The set up is light for this speed but flies true and super fast.

Bolts: $69.99 dz
Broadheads:$ 23.99/ three
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Spike

I just bought the Easton carbon power bolts 20 inch half moon for my barnett with 125 grain field points I hunt with shwacker 125s and the Easton's shoot great all the way to 55 yards which is the furthest I shoot.