Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

machanical broadhead sharpening?

Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default machanical broadhead sharpening?

OK, I've been reading all this on the accuracy post and saw Jerry's vedio on sharpening BHs but how do you sharpen the blades on a mach BH. All the mach BHs don't have replacement blades so it looks like almost impossible to sharpen them, right?
I retire a head if it kills but I want my new BHs sharp first.
BBO
Old 07-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: machanical broadhead sharpening?

sorry buddy i'm not familiar with the bhead you're using. but, i use new blades on all the broadheads i hunt with.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 AM

I don't know which onews you use.I use the NAP Spitfire heads.they have replacement blades you can get.I resharpen my blades when I use them.I use a diamond finger nail file; works great.I have taken 4 deer with the same heads and blades , with only one blade I had to change.it was bent.
I open the heads and sharpen from tip to bottom.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Hey BB, here is some good info on a leather strop.. Axes are another passion of mine, I like to keep them sharp enough to shave with.

http://www.handamerican.com/Ihone.html
Old 08-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

OK, I've been reading all this on the accuracy post and saw Jerry's vedio on sharpening BHs but how do you sharpen the blades on a mach BH. All the mach BHs don't have replacement blades so it looks like almost impossible to sharpen them, right?
I retire a head if it kills but I want my new BHs sharp first.
BBO
back years ago before the insert blades like today, we sharpened our blades..
i still do on my ZWICKEY i use on my wood cedar arrows..

i would just buy new insert blades BUT if you get a real good FILE,very fine one like someone said here, you will put a razor edge on it..
stay away from sharpening stones, none seem to work good, only FILE...
Old 08-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

If the blades will come off, you can use a retractable razorblade scraper. just remove the singgleblade razor from the scraper & insert your blade. This has worked for me in the past,Just dont apply too much preasure while honeing or the BH plade will slip out. Sure hope this helps ya out! GB 50
Old 08-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Actually, I was referring to the 2 bladed Rage broadheads. I bought a 3 pack of these at the Buckmasters Expo to other weekend.Before I posted this, I noticed the Rage BHs don't have replaceable blades and was wondering how to sharpen them. Then after I posted this subject, I discovered that the rage bhs would indeed shave hair on your arm. They are the first BHs I have bought new that shave right out of the box. Sooo, since I retire a BH after a kill, and the blades are already shaving sharp, I guess I don't need to know how to sharpen these type blades. Thanks for the info anyhow.
BBO
Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

Actually, I was referring to the 2 bladed Rage broadheads. I bought a 3 pack of these at the Buckmasters Expo to other weekend.Before I posted this, I noticed the Rage BHs don't have replaceable blades and was wondering how to sharpen them. Then after I posted this subject, I discovered that the rage bhs would indeed shave hair on your arm. They are the first BHs I have bought new that shave right out of the box. Sooo, since I retire a BH after a kill, and the blades are already shaving sharp, I guess I don't need to know how to sharpen these type blades. Thanks for the info anyhow.
BBO
i have had great luck with a real FINE file..i sharpen all my knives in home with it....
stones,i dont like....check out file....