Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Questions on Strings/Cables

Old 07-30-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Questions on Strings/Cables

Sorry for another newbie question, but I have searched and cannot find an answer.

I am trying to figure out some terminology on strings and cables. I talked to my local Archery shop to find out how much it is to have my crossbow strung. He told me that I could buy their string or bring my own. He alsosaid if it was my serving string that needed replacedI might want to do it myself. What exactly is the serving string and how would I go about replacing it? Is the serving stringwhat goes around the wheels? I guess I am confused about what he is calling the serving string and the center serving. The center serving comes on all new sets of strings, correct?

The guy who i bought my used Horton from said the strings in it were fairly new. Should I take it to my local Archery shop and have them look them, just have the string replaced so I know it's good, or just use the current string untilthey break?

I really do not know anyone who uses a crossbow to ask so this is pretty much my only outlet. Any help is greatly appreciated. I was able to finally find the manual on the Horton site, but it is kind of limited.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:51 AM

Default RE: Questions on Strings/Cables

The center serving is the serving that goes right where the arrow sits in the grove and protects the string from the barrel, the nock and the claw mechanism that holds the string back. This wears out and will need to be replaced from time to time, depending on how much you shoot. My old shop would charge about seven bucks to unstring my CB and put a new center serving on. On my old Horton, the cables only cam into contact with the wheels and I had no serving touch them. On my Supermax the string went around the wheels once before hooking onto the cables and at that point on the string it was served. I never wore it out, but one time had to have it replaced because it started to unravel on me and it needed to be there to protect the string. If your string is OK and has no broken strands then I would just get it reserved, if needed. But if it has lots of fraying or broken strands then you should get it replaced too. On my old Supermag I think the guy charged me 20 bucks for a new string once, can't remember though. Never wait until the string breaks to replace, you could be injured by the CB or at least break it. Where your center serving meet the arrow and barrel, turn it or twist it with your fingers to see the other side that comes into contact with the barrel. Thatthe point that will wear out first, the top side will usually always look good.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Thanks Hotburn, it makes sense now. I'll check out the strings and serving when I get home now that I know what to look for. Also when using string wax, do you apply it to your strings and cables everywhere except the center serving?

Another quick question, if you dont mind. When you get ready to take it to the shop for new string or new serving, do you take the entire crossbow or do you disassemble it and just take the bow unit?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 PM

You need to put it on the string itself to help keep it from getting to dry and it will get that hairy look to it if you don't. I don't think any one has ever put it on the cables, never heard of doing that, don't think it is even recommended. Where and when to put string wax on has been discussed alot around here in different directions. I mainly only used Rail lube on my Horton's and not much of a wax guy, had heard to much wax on the center serving and it can come off after time messing with your trigger. The string I currently have on my Excal is waxed really good when made and I plan on putting none on it and seeing how it holds up, some guys do this, some don't. If your shop puts on the string serving "dry" then you will need to wax it for sure.

I always took the bow off the stock when I went in for a reserve. Figured the less he touches the less I will pay and the less chance he has of messing up.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
byg
Spike

I could be wrong but I thought the manual said not to wax the serving..I never had before...Just usethe rail lube..
Old 07-30-2007, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: byg

I could be wrong but I thought the manual said not to wax the serving..I never had before...Just usethe rail lube..
Thats right, the Horton manual does say that since all its strings servings come pre waxed. They know that if you tell a guy to wax it they will do it in excess and they must have smaller parts in there triggers and they say that it can gum up the trigger. If a serving material is dry when put on it will need at least one coat of wax rubbed in real good, but on my Horton I always just used the lube.