Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broadheads

Old 07-28-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Broadheads

I have a Horton Hunter elite. I wanted to know, as this is my first crossbow (it was donated to me, I am disabled), if you can use other broadheads than what the maker of the crossbow suggests. I was looking at the G5 Montec and the Striker, both in 100 grain. Any input would be great!

Joe
Old 07-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads

Here's some sites w/ bhead tests:

http://btreviews.proboards57.com/index.cgi?

http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org/

Ilike Slick Tricks 100 gr 1 1/8" diameter.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:18 PM

OK, I am a pretty smart fella, but the second link was not in english, and I dont understand it! But I do thank you. I have signed up on the board for the first link you sent, and waiting for them to email my verification. Again, thanks. Do you have a link so I can see and learn more about the broadheads you use?

Joe
Old 07-28-2007, 01:58 PM

The G5 Montecs worked really good out of my old Horton, maybe 260 to 270 range. They flew real nice until they flew off of my truck.... Went hunting with dad one night and he left the quiver with four arrows and G5 Montecs on them laying on the cap of my truck! We realized it when we got home!!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Sek,

Here is another broadhead test:

http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

Bob
Old 07-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sek: The Italian site has a choice for English or Italian, you may have missed it, you might wanna try again. Matthias72 has done more experimenting than any one I've seen, tons of good info there.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks, I will check it out again, been a LONG time since I was around anything Italian, I thought I may try to copy and paste into a translator. So I will go back and find the english button! I have to say I am super excited, I will be hunting deer with a crossbow for the first time this year. You see, I have not been able to hunt or fish since I became disabled almost 5 years now. I have never hunted with any type of archery and all my gear was donated to me, with out it, I would NEVER have been able to afford the gear. The guys with Safari Club in KC really came through. One donated a whitetail doe and fallow doe hunt to me I cant wait to use, I need to get a better aim going though! Not only am I excited about getting back into the woods, I am hunting for food, trying to save money, and that in and of itself just puts a whole new spin on things. My goal is to fill the freezer with as much wild meat as possible, ducks, geese, deer, rabbit, you name it. I had to sell off ALL my stuff when I became disabled, bills pile up a lot faster than the wheels of disability turn. So I made a investment in a Mossy 500 12ga, and have the field barrel, and a scoped rifle barrel, and really want a blackpowder one for it. Rambled long enough, sure you all didnt want to hear my life story!

Joe
Old 07-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, Joe, we do like to hear stories like yours. Overcoming misfortune is an inspiration to all of us and a reminder not to take things for granted. As to the Italian site, believe you have a choice between [Entra] and [Enter], the latter is in English, have fun!!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

sek, you and your stories are welcome here. many of us went to xbows due to different types of disabilities. so you fit right in. a few of us have been using slick tricks 100 gr. they are a tough broadhead and they fly great.i have found that as bow speeds approach the 300 fps range that the newer short profile broadheads fly better. gratz on your new bow. enjoy a great sport and good luck.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:17 PM

I am glad to hear that the various ramblings fit here! My wife of couse thinks I talk to much when ever I get around anything hunting or fishing! I am brand new at shooting this thing as well, so ANY tips that will make the learning curve easier, would be great, I cant afford to break something-litterally! I would like advice on how (as I know more than one method/way can be right) you all sight in. Right now, I have a three dot red do.

Joe

Quick Reply: Broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.