Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Deck Lube find

Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deck Lube find

May have hit on something through my incessant experimentation.
Tried Molibdeum Disolfide powder (moly) as a deck lube. Figured if it's used to make bullets and barrels slick it might work on x bow decks. It does, somewhat, but it's also messy. So I cleaned it off using Ballistol, a gun cleaner/lubricant I use for cleaning my muzzleloader. Not only did it clean the moly off quite easily, but left the deck with a slick, slippery surface that isn't tacky like some deck lubes. Initial results show favorable accuracy, slightly higher hits (faster?). Hmmm! Seems I found a solution for 2 problems. Need to chron.
Ballistol was developed as a gun cleaner/lube for the military. It's biodegradeable and said to lube and preserve all sorts material including metal and leather. I've used it as a range cleaner mixed 50/50 with water. Not only does it clean the barrel of my ML very well but leaves enough lube to make sabot seating easy. When rubbed between the finger and thumb it feels very slick and leaves a dry waxy film that seems to last from shot to shot with X bow.
I get Ballistol from Midway USA.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 AM

Default RE: Deck Lube find

Thanks for the info. I have been looking for some dry lube to use. I have tried graphite powder as well.