Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bought 1st Crossbow.. need some help

Old 07-25-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Bought 1st Crossbow.. need some help

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who responded to my previous thread about choosing between two crossbows. Unfortunately due to certain circumstances I could not buy a new Excalibur crossbow as was overwhelmingly suggested. I did however find a great deal on a used Horton Explorer HD 150 ( I know, I know). I figure this is a great crossbow to cut my teeth on and then when I want to move up I'll have my eye on the Excaliburs.

My question has to do with bolts and broadheads. I've done some research on here and found that the Horton Carbon Strike MX is a pretty good bolt. As for broadheads I was looking at a Muzzy 100 gr 3-blade (unless everyone says 4-blade is better). Or does anyone use the Horton Tekan EX expandable broadheads? Then I ran across something talking about point inserts. Will I need these for my Horton?

Thanks for any help or tips you can give me about my Horton. I'll try to return the favor another time.

Also any recommendations for a target I can use with both field tips and broadheads?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bought 1st Crossbow.. need some help

1st of all Welcome.....

Buying a CB is like like getting into recurve/longbow,why spend a ton of money if you are not sure if your ging to like it or not.You can allway's upgrade,as far as BH's go you just have to go with what you like/what works best for your set-up....Myself Iam going to try Rage 100gr and Teken II's and go from there(I already have a pac of both from my Vert day's).
You will get all kinds of responses on BH's......
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 4 bladed Slick Tricks work great for me. Small to avoid planing, yet give great terminal performance. And fly like my field tips. Come in 1'' and 1 & 1/8" diameter in 100 or 125 grns. (FWIW, Im shooting the 100 gr 1 & 1/8")
Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 AM

i have a 07' Horton Hunter HD175& usingHorton Carbon Strike MX bolts& my trusty ole' ThunderHead 100 broadheads
Old 07-26-2007, 02:39 AM
Typical Buck

gratz on your new xbow. hotburn was a horton shooter, he can prob give you some good advice. ditto on the slick tricks. they're a great broadhead. good luck.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. I went ahead and ordered some of the Horton Carbon Strike bolts and some Slick Tricks 100 gr. Magnums. I've read alot of good things about them and that most everyone that uses them agrees that they fly like their field points. I also ordered a Morrell Yellowjacket block target for broadheads and a Redhead Bag target for field points. I'll probably wear them out trying to get use to this crossbow before September 8. Oh yeah, I also got a Horton cocking rope.

That should do me for now, hopefully. I'm sure I'll think of more stuff to get later. Thanks again for the comments and please, if there are any others that want to chime in you are more than welcome.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 PM

You are off to a good start and should have lots of fun. I used the Horton's and Carbons for a couple of years and loved them. The Horton carbons where the only ones smart enough beside Danny Miller arrows to ever use front brass inserts for a better FOC that I have ever seen. I have a couple dozen carbons sitting around with bad vanes on them but the shafts are still good. When I get off my can and start to re-fletch I will set them up for dad. I have never used the slick tricks and used Muzzy for most of my CB career. When I got a faster Horton I went with the Tekan II's and they are great off my supper Max 175 and have not shot them out of Excal yet. They always flew just like field tips but I never have had a chance to draw blood on them. Get your goodies and give us a update ASAP!!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best order some spare strings....and learn how to serve the string as well. I started with the same enthusiasm (and still have it!) and wore out a string in lesss than 2 weeks. I still practivce every day...but have earned to do my own strings since.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I set up a Horton Realtree 175 for a friend last fall. It was a package deal, he got everything including Hortons small profile b-heads. I tried Slicks on his arrows and they flew good, but about 10" low right from field points at 30 yds. Could not figure out why, so called Horton and somebody there said "Just use mechanicals". I was not impressed w/ that answer. I've read of enough Horton guys/gals shooting Slicks that I'm almost positive it was a flaw in that particular bow. Other than that I was impressed w/ it, but would have 86ed the 3 dot red dot. good luck, keep us posted!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

"The Horton carbons where the only ones smart enough beside Danny Miller arrows to ever use front brass inserts for a better FOC that I have ever seen" Jason, 10 pt pro elites or elites are the same except for plastic nocks and come in at about 420 gr even though Cabelas calls them 431's. Remember that fiasco,lol?

Quick Reply: Bought 1st Crossbow.. need some help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.