Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broadheads and crossbows

Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads and crossbows

the slick tricks fly great. it seems that a shorter profile bhead works better for a crossbow. i have used wasp jak-hammer sst's in the past and they fly well and give a great wound channel due to the 1 1/2 inch cutting diameter however they use a rubber band and like dnk said.....you need to double band them. good luck.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: xbowbarry

I use muzzy 100's out of my excalibur and they fly like darts, never a problem.

xbowbarry
When you say 100's we are talking about the grain, correct?? What is the heaviest? 100 to 125.........
Old 07-15-2007, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: scpatterson

ORIGINAL: xbowbarry

I use muzzy 100's out of my excalibur and they fly like darts, never a problem.

xbowbarry
When you say 100's we are talking about the grain, correct?? What is the heaviest? 100 to 125.........
I meant to say 100 to 125 to use with a crossbow. What is teh lightest and the heaviest I should use on a fixed broadhead. Should I start another post on stuff like this instead of asking inside this one. I will figure all this out.......
Old 07-16-2007, 04:18 AM

Unless you are using a extremely heavy arrow just stick with 100 grain heads. All the manufactures use them on there arrows that have a total weight around 400 to 430 range. Excal, Horton, and Ten point all recommend 100 grain heads and that is from proven research with there recommended arrow weights. Some use heavier but I only think that is needed for heavier weight arrows. B-heads and field points are made in different weights for weight balance and proper arrow spine. They are not made just for your selection and choice. I have seen alot of friends put heavy heads on light arrows and then wonder why there arrows are not nock busters, balance is why.

Edit: left out to say to scpatterson that yes they are referring to B-head weight in grains.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have not shot a buck with a crossbow but i am using NAP 100 gr on my bolts on my horton..
i use field inserts instead of blades and both fly to same hole at range..

i do use 125 nap expandables on my fred bear kodiackrecurve for buck hunting and they work great behind shoulder..

Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

scpatterson,
Yes indeed, I was talking about 100 gr heads. Never tried another weight as these shot soooooo good.

xbowbarry
Old 07-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two missed bucks with Thunderheads convinced me they don't fly well from X (my) bow. Seems the large head has tendency to make bolts plane in whichever direction that the head is oriented i.e. it steers the bolt. Switched to slick tricks and my accuracy problem was over.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cossack

Two missed bucks with Thunderheads convinced me they don't fly well from X (my) bow. Seems the large head has tendency to make bolts plane in whichever direction that the head is oriented i.e. it steers the bolt. Switched to slick tricks and my accuracy problem was over.
i heard those slick tricks do fly very well..
the thunderheads should have been ok..
i have test that a guy shot 60 yards with thunderheads..

my brother uses them and he swears by them in 125 gr..
arrow could be not tuned..
maybe someone will offer their info on this.......
Old 07-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I quit looking and experimenting once I tried Slick Trick 100 gr 1 1/8" cut.

Deadly accurate and awesome blood trails.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: Cossack

i heard those slick tricks do fly very well..
the thunderheads should have been ok..
i have test that a guy shot 60 yards with thunderheads..

my brother uses them and he swears by them in 125 gr..
arrow could be not tuned..
maybe someone will offer their info on this.......
Ok, I'll bite. What's the guys test at 60 yds for? Surely not deer? What's w/ brother swearing by them when he can't "tune" them?? And while we are at it, what's w/ the bs on your other post about xbows being as loud as guns? Are you aware of the forum rules which clearly state no xbow bashing? I remember all of your earlier posts, btw.

Quick Reply: Broadheads and crossbows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.