Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

First Impressions...

Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 PM

Default First Impressions...

Well the night ended alot better then the day started. First off I would like to say sorry for getting a little huffy and to all who read my WTF post before I edited them, totally my fault! I put the string on and got it all put together with maybe some minor damage. When I put the first dissipator pad on I may have got wrench happy, not stripped yet, but felt like it was getting soft from me trying to get it nice and extra tight, I am sure they are cheap if it becomes a problem. The CB went together pretty good and no real problems or head scratchers. My stringing aid was to long so I had to adjust that, no biggie, probably a normal. Got the string on and had to take it off three times before I had it twisted enough, again a learning curve and now I know how many twist get you how much added hight. Put the scope on but need to get some blue lock tight for the screws so they don't come loose. Well I took my first shot a ten yards with the scope, in the center a little to the right and a little on the top, but the center!!!!!!!! So after my first shot I was happy! noticed after two shots I needed to adjust my string. But I only made it to twenty for a few shots and the wife was giving me the look since we had not ate yet.

So over all here is how I feel after being a Horton user for fourteen years...

1. Weight - The Excal wins this hands down without a doubt, but I knew this last spring when I first held one.

2. Appearance - The new way they put camo on is just to cool! It looks like it is just part of the metal and not a finish. The pattern is also top notch. Can't really nock Horton for this since camo has come a long way in just the last couple of years.

3. Workability - Meaning independence. I now can do all my own work and no longer need a shop. I really despised having to go down to the shop for a new serving. Now I can do all that myself. I no longer have to wonder about cable life and such.

4. Sights -Excal has this one in the bag hands down! Making a variable power scope say 250 to 355 instead of 3 to 9 was the smartest thing anyone ever thought of, I hope whoever thought of this got one heck of a raise! On my Horton I have a Varizone and am happy with it, but not the best in the woods at last light. For the Vortex I bought the Lumizone. Top notch no doubt. I also love the fact that it works without batteries! SO if I forget to turn it off I am not SOL! The scope is nice and I am happy with it!

5. Cocking - Trying to pull back 200 pounds if pretty hard for me. I consider my self pretty strong and am proud of what I can do. I can cock it, but am trying so hard that I feel I may not be getting it straight. The rope cocker is an asset for my CB. It gets th string back with very little effort and is always in the center. Also one thing that is different is it is quite when it cocks. The Horton makes a more of a snapping sound, probably the safety coming back. So I have to get used to not hearing that, it was always my assurance it was cocked. This is one advantage I can see with the Horton since I could cock it no problem. But the rope cocker fits in my pocket, and I can still get the job done without it if I had to.

6.Accuracy - Can't say yet, so far it is right on, but that is free hand at close range, the Horton was a nock buster under twenty so I will have to get out the bench and do the long range testing, Horton would open up a little on thirty yards and farther.

7. Noise - I was impressed! Although I do not think any CB will ever be quite enough to make a difference. The Vortex was actually quieter then the Horton. I do not feel the vibration in the vortex that I felt in the Horton. I like this, but again it will probably never matter.

8. Safety - I have to get used to a manual safety. But as Bill T said "No firearm has one" Its a good point and I believe him when he said the manual safety is much stronger then a automatic. Just have to get used to it.

9. Size - The Vortex is wider then the Horton, but when cocked it is only a few inches wider. If you keep track of your surroundings this should not be a problem. I am usually up in a tree with only something on my back and my sides are clear so I should be good to go. The vortex is lighter then the Horton, this must make it seem better balanced. I always felt like my Horton was front heavy. But I never knew this till I shot my vortex. Don't know what your missing if you never had it? It just seems like it steadies better when I aim.

10. Overall - I am happy! Will I still recommend a Horton? Yes! I feel that there top end CB's are great and I have always been happy with them. I am just a independent person and hated the "Bow Monkey & Press". Excal may be a little wider and is better with a cocking aid, but the independence and weight difference are worth it to me. From what other say I will gain more long range accuracy too.

I need to do lots more shooting and then can really see what it can do, but so far I am happy and very pleased. I am using the string that came with it, but Danny will be getting a call probably tomorrow for a FFF.

I would also like to say a big thank you to Dan, aka AWSHUCKS. He has had to deal with alot of PM's from me lately and has been totally helpful with me during this whole process. Also saying thanks for the many more PM's he will get! I have to work all weekend so I may not get to shoot much but Monday and Tuesday it game on!!

So in short... I am a happy man!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First Impressions...

Glad to hear it worked out for you!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have Fun.........I'll be nxt
Old 06-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems the problems you have run into are the same ones most new excal owners run into....

In my excitement I over-tightened the dissapator pad screws stripping them.I tend to crank all my screws down pretty hard and it never occurred to me that the pads would strip so easily...

The string on the cocking aid had to be adjusted as it was much to long. Not a big problem, but if your sitting on the floor setting your bow up AND don't know what your doing it was a pain. What is that single plastic tube over the cocking string? Saves one hand at the expense of the other??

The strings with a twist or two did not fall within the brace height and required quite a bit of shooting to stretch them.

As I sit here eating the last of the breakfast sausage I shot last year I realize I am whining a bit. No shortage of deer killing toys here butmy hopes for the coming season involve my Pheonix. I love her and she loves me. Some might say it's wrong but I know she will be with me for years to come with little upkeep. >>>>>>>>Whack!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:56 AM

Good deal!!! Enjoy your xbow!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:41 PM

I am glad you did not bust a vain and got it worked out. Now that you do I know you will love your Vortex I do mind.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You're going to call who for a what???? Hmmmmmmm. I think you might be calling the wrong niumber! LOL!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:54 PM

Got home and supper was ready so that left some time for shooting. Last night was good but was still hitting high at twenty and had my lumizone turned almost all the way up. I figured it was a brace hight thing so I payed no attention to it and was not worried. Was thinking at work that I have my main ten hair, then twenty, thirty and then forty. Then I realized that it is a fifty yard scope just like the Varizone is! Here I was using the main hairs as the ten. Put the main at twenty and now I am nuts on at ten, twenty and thirty! My back yard is really hard to do forty in, I am in the bushes and kinda pointy at the neighbors, not good! SO I need to go out to the mother in-laws for my long rang and my bench that I have set up. I was happy I only had to stop and twist my string one time. The lumizone is real nice too and I think I need to let the batteries die down just a little, almost makes the hairs to bright even on the one, I know after time this will get better. With it turned off or on onelow light shooting is excellent IMO. I also am really liking the rope cocker, not worn out like I was with the Horton and shooting lots. I don't know why, but when I took my string off it was just a good feeling, like I said before I love independence from a press monkey! So overall another happy night in Findlay Ohio!! Also my dad is pretty happy too, he just got a free upgrade on a Horton!