Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How long should I use a string before changing

Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 PM

Default How long should I use a string before changing

Last year was my second year using the same string. The string still looks great. But I'm still kind of shy of the long use. What do you guys think.

A.J.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long should I use a string before changing

2' 1.5", what bow do you have and how many shots have you taken in a year?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Every situation is different. I'm still using the same Excaliburstring that cameon my Exocet. This will bethe start of my 4th season. I've taken three deer in the past three yearsand have maybe 75 shots on that string. Some guys shoot that much in a week. Isend so much time hunting and fishing that I really don't take the time to just target shoot like I ought to. I do have two new back up strings for when there needed.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks guys for replies. I am new to crossbow hunting, so I really dont know the up keep as well as compound bows.To answer your questions, I have a PSE Viper. I have killed 4 deer, and I dont practice alot. My dad thinks that it is not good to shoot our crossbows like we shot our compounds. So I guess i have not really shot my bow as much as I see some of the other guys here have.

A.J.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The strings themselves tend to last a long time as long as there are no signs of them weakening via broken strands or anything. The serving is usually the first to wear out. I've gone thru a serving in two or three days of heavy shooting, which is not a problem now that I serve my own.I shoot mine until I see the serving starting to fray bad, recently read where worn servings are detrimental to accuracy, so will be changing them out sooner now.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 AM

How do you reserve it....Isn't it too tight to the rail to hold up for a server?

I am being lazy here and asking instead of getting up to go look at mine!!!

How do you hold yours up? Do you use a regular serving tool? Have you ever used the heavy monofilament serving on crossbows?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Dryridge
How do you reserve it....Isn't it too tight to the rail to hold up for a server?
You have to take the string off the CB to do it. One of the reasons I wanted a recurve design since I hated having to go to a shop with a press for my compound style.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dryridge

I am being lazy here and asking instead of getting up to go look at mine!!!

How do you hold yours up? Do you use a regular serving tool? Have you ever used the heavy monofilament serving on crossbows?

Thanks in advance
You should make yourself a jig to stretch the string tighter than it is when the string is on the bow at rest. Search for the jig here. There is a good thread on it. Mono is used by target recurve shooter who shoot with fingers. Mono will not hold up to the abuse of the claws. There are plenty of good serving tools. My favorite one is the Cavalier Pro String Server. http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop...p?cPath=44_300
Old 06-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

TenPoint suggests changing them every 3-4 years. Even if the string looks good, it has been under pressure for a long time. I do get calls from guys that have had their bow for 5-8 years and they still have the same string, but they are asking for trouble at that point. Performance gets effected as well.
Randy
Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 PM

Thanks everyone, I think i will take tenpoints advice. Better be safe than sorry.

A.J.

Quick Reply: How long should I use a string before changing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.