Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Does anyone use an Archery Range Finder

Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Default RE: Does anyone use an Archery Range Finder

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog
How long have you had your Ruger.204? Jason, have you ever used a Colluminator?
I have had my Ruger .243 for around 8yrs and I love to shoot it.
That may have sounded misleading. The gun is actually a H&R in .204Ruger. It is a still somewhat new cartridge. Hornady designed the bullet and then Ruger made the case for it so I guess it's gets called a .204Ruger for life? I is basically a .222 Remington magnum case necked down to .20 caliber. Not sure but thats what everyone calls it. It is a real sweet little varmit bullet. Comes out screaming around 4200FPS and is 1/2" high at 100, 0 at 200, -4 at 300, and -12 at 400! It is a awesome little caliber. I like it since it is small and so fast that it becomes to unstable after any impact so it is rare to ricochet off something and hit a building. I worked on hand loads last summer but never got any better the 3/4" groups. I only tried three different powders but this year plan on playing more. I justified the reloading equipment to my wife to save money, but that has proven wrong!! LOL!! Here is a pic of it...

Also almost forgot, I have never used a Colluminator. What is it?

Attachment (1)
Old 04-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Mine is the same as you guys are talking about, the 400.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Also almost forgot, I have never used a Colluminator. What is it?

Attachment (1)
Hey, that looksreal nice!Hope you really enjoy it!

I have a Colluminator somewhere in the closet and when I find it, I'll send you a picture of it. Back in the late 70's Cabelas use to sell them in the Archery section and I orderd one. They were like $24.

It's about 21/2 ins wide and about 61/2 ins long. You hold it Horizontal and look in thesmall window on the leftside, you see the object in double vision, it has a smalladjustment wheel on top to adjust the image untill you see only one image and it displays the yardage on top.

Back in 1993 I purchased the Bushnell 400 and have never used it again. Just something else in the hunting gear collection!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:07 PM

I think I know what you are talking about. I remember seeing that in a store a long time ago, maybe in high school or something, but it was like you describe. It looked like my dads old camera and you turned the wheel until the two images came as one and then looked at the dial that told you the range.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

I think I know what you are talking about. I remember seeing that in a store a long time ago, maybe in high school or something, but it was like you describe. It looked like my dads old camera and you turned the wheel until the two images came as one and then looked at the dial that told you the range.
Yep! That's it!