Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Why Crossbows????

Old 04-01-2007, 11:42 AM

Default RE: Why Crossbows????

MODS, Please be patient! There is some good stuff going on here and I think it will benefit everyone. Keep it clean, everyone!
Old 04-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave you said LAW....just remember these laws were more then likely put on the books by folks that have(or had)a hard time excepting the crossbow as a bow and more then likely have disliked the crossbow from day one because they were not educated in crossbows.(for the most part).

This will(the crossbow)be excepted by most hunters as time goes on just like Trad shooters accepted the Compound and Black Powder shooters have accepted the In-line Muzzle loader...
Education is the main thing......But there are thos that will allways fight or cry about it.....
In my 34 yrs of real hunting(32 deer hunting)I have never disliked crossbows......
Old 04-01-2007, 12:07 PM

RebelHog,

I am just getting started with my archery-only ranch. After quite a bit of research, I discovered a few things:

* I could make twice as much $ if I allowed gun hunting.
* No archery-only ranch allows crossbows, except for disabilities.

I, admittedly and incorrectly, figured there was a reason for the "no crossbow" policy everywhere. So I didnt question it. I figured 100% of the other ranches couldnt be wrong. At this point, I am radically thinking outside the box (as my therapist has told me I do for 20 years) and considering crossbows on my ranch.

As far as your comment about "fair to them", just so there is no confusion between us, sir- I dont care about fair! I was a police officer for too long and KNOW "fair" doesnt exist. I consider "reasonable", not "fair".

"To satisfy my ego"? Thats funny! You stumped me there, I dont know how to respond to that one. Keep 'em coming, though. (Ha! Ha!)

Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Montana Dave
I am starting to believethis is just "fear of the unknown" and ignorance on the part of,well, everybody! And I am a good example! I, unfairly and ignorantly, believed that crossbows offered an unfair advantage over compound bows.
Guys, this statement alone is the tie-breaker. This man has a business and he also has an open mind. He is asking to have his eyes open so lets not put him on the spit over the fire.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I'd like youns to see the PMs between Dave and myself so here goes. I really think guys like Dave are the link between "us and them".

Inbox From: Montana Dave To: Dnk Date: 4/1/2007 10:54:27 AM Subject: RE: your post
DNK,

I am ON YOUR SIDE!!! Why cant some people see that?No apoligy needed. I am just a bowhunter trying to expand my interests.

I was a little hard on you in my last post. It just got to me that you said I had a "baseless arguement" when an "arguement" was the farthest thing from my mind. I dont have an "opinion", as I dont know anything about crossbows.

I do believe you are being discriminated against, but not by me. Matter of fact, if you ever want to come to Texas, let me know. We have a 2,000 acre ranch (free range) full of deer that have never seen a crossbow, either! (Ha! Ha!)

Thanks.

Inbox From: Montana Dave To: Dnk Date: 4/1/2007 1:13:49 PM Subject: RE: thread
With you??? Thats an understatement! I am going to PROMOTE crossbow hunting at my place. To alienate compound bowhunters is a mistake! Archery is archery! Isnt that what crossbow hunters say they support? Crossbow hunters are treated differently, for whatever reason.For that, I am sorry. I dont agree with it- but it is true.
Thanks for being open minded and I will continue to do the same.
Dave
Old 04-01-2007, 12:42 PM

I think most folks with negative opinions about crossbows would change their minds if they just got a chance to shoot one. My friend in Texas has a compound that shoots faster than my Vixen. We have been planning a trip together with our kids to a ranch in East Texas since last season, but our schedules have not worked out. The ranch we are going to had a no-crossbow policy until my friend told the guy that his bow was faster than my xbow. He thought a crossbow was more akin to a muzzleloader in performance than a bow. When we go this year, it will be during rifle season, but the guy asked if I could bring the xbow to show him how it shoots. Hopefully he will change his mind and allow xbows on his ranch.

This crossbow is my first experience with archery, and coming over from the world of firearms, I have had trouble understanding this bow vs. crossbow debate. To me, they both use strings to launch an arrow, so where does the argument get started?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Montana Dave

At this point, I am radically thinking outside the box (as my therapist has told me I do for 20 years) and considering crossbows on my ranch.
That's great new's!

I was a police officer for too long and KNOW "fair" doesnt exist. I consider "reasonable", not "fair".
You got that right! I'm retired from the Sheriffs Dept.

"To satisfy my ego"? Thats funny! You stumped me there, I dont know how to respond to that one. Keep 'em coming, though. (Ha! Ha!)
That's the way I took it, but maybe I'm wrong!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Seems pretty civil to me.. My perspective on this splits when you speak of the legal aspect of crossbows. Where I live the law in no way what soever differentiates between a recurve, crossbow or compound. It is hard to get a feel for another guys perspective when his or her point of view has already been corrupted by an outside source, likea government agency or piers.
I shoot a crossbow, and I am indeed an archer.

When I shoot a compound I know my arrow is going faster, quieter, straighter and was released from nothing but modern technology, and my trigger finger. I don't see that as an advantage over my crossbow though, just different.
You have a good perspective on things Dave, seeking out an animal and keeping it at a short distance to harvest it with an arrow takes a skill that exceeds anyargument a rational person would have.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:01 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

A xbow is not the magic tool that people think it is. There bulky in the woods, slow to cock after a shoot ( a person with a regular type bow can get off 3 to 4 shoots or more by the time i can get the xbow loaded and ready to shoot). I'm 63 oldwith a screwed up shoulder and thats why i shoot a xbow, after shooting recurves and compounds since i was 16 i ca'nt no more. I still love being out in the woods and with my family and friends and no one is going to stop me or change my mind about what weapon i use. You do'nt like it thenhunt some place else. Handle it, deal with it. Rich
Old 04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]People are narrow minded as a group but a little more flexible one on one. Dave my hat is off to you for having the guts to come to this forum and ask the questions you are. I believe you are trying to be open and honest in your persuit of the truith. So here it is as I see it. Who cares?!!!!!!! Some people hunt with recurve or long bow. Others use compound. Still others[the ones you are talking with now] use crossbows. The animals don't care what they are shot with. They would prefer not to be shot at all. We owe it to them to use what we are best with. I use both in different situations. As a land owner i would be more worried about the guy that is willing to rule out a weapon based on some idiotic predjudice. I use both because I care about the lives i take. We all should. We need to in order to promote the sport of archery hunting. Every archer is under fire by the nonhunting community.

Quick Reply: Why Crossbows????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.