Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Exomax-first Xbow impressions-Chronograph test

Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Exomax-first Xbow impressions-Chronograph test

Well I finally got a day nice enough to dig out the Chronograph and check the speed of the arrows out of the Excalibur Exomax. The arrows I used were the Goldtip Laser 2 Graphites with the target tips installed, and weighed from 363 grains to 368 grains. 6 shots were clocked at
1. 328.2 fps
2. 327.9 fps
3. 328.0 fps
4. 327.4 fps
5. 328.0 fps
6. 328.5 fps

Average speed 328.0 fps
Hi speed 328.5 fps
Lo speed 327.4 fps
Extreme spread 1.1 fps

My altitude is about 5700 feet, the temp was 45 degrees F, the chronograph is a PACT model 1 and was about 1 foot from the bow.
This is extremely consistent (I wish I could get my firearms this consistent). I am sure it is one of the reasons for the great accuracy the bow is capable of. The figures are below what the company advertises the bow shooting arrows of this weight ( 360 grains @ 352 fps), but I am also using the Dacron string and not a fast flight. I will have to get some different strings and do this again. My string has stretched until the brace height is just inside the mark closest to the trigger.
I also noticed that the bow is not as loud as I thought it was. When your face is pressed against the stock, it seems A LOT louder than when you hold it away from you. I will have to wait until I can get someone to else to shoot it for me to really tell how loud it is. I think some string silencers may help also. And if the string continues to stretch to where I can put a few twists in it, that could help too. It could be "parachuting" with no twists in it, and that would increase the sound and decrease the arrow speed.
Overall, I am extremely pleased with this crossbow. It is everything I was told it would be. Fast, accurate, well finished, good trigger, yet simple. I cannot wait to get a deer or Elk in front of me with this crossbow in my hands.
I am going to have to go to a scope to take advantage of the accuracy this crossbow is capable of. My eyes just don’t see well enough to do it justice.
I hope this, and the other posts I made about my first experiences with a crossbow, have been informative to others. I know this has been a lot of fun and educational for me.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Exomax-first Xbow impressions-Chronograph test

Thats good speed and you have a great CB, i am glad you like it.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would be vary interesting if we could compare some heavy arrows to that LIKE 2219 which is more or less the old standard, I have long thought that as a bow gets heavier its capability to shoot heavy arrows closer to the same speed as light ones grows. Lee
Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lee, I'm guessing an old coon like you, lol, has heard this before, but for those who haven't you can figure on losing 1 fps for every 5 gr of increased arrow weight.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:09 AM

Can you talk more about the trigger? What pound pull would you guess it at? Is there creep, or is it crisp?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

All of Excals triggers are set at 3lb. mine is smooth easy squeeze and its gone!