Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cross Bow

Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cross Bow

My.... My... MY......[X(]....Interesting.......
Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

The first two arrows that came out the compound I borrowed were in a quarter size group at 20 yards. The next couple were spread a bit farther out, but still respectable. Prior to doing that I had never in my life picked up a compound bow. The next day I took the bow to a range, again putting every arrow inside of 3" circle.
I have had my crossbow just a tad over 3 months, scope and all I can not get the groups I get with the compound after just a few shots, especially as I get out towards 30 and 40 yards. I no longer buy into the statement that the things are so difficult to shoot. I can shoot the compound better after 10 shots than I could a premium crossbow with a scope after thousands of shots.
It is becoming very clear to me that it is about a fear of a hunter having competition in the woods more than the weapon in hand, that is low. I am going to become a compound shooter as well as a crossbow shooter, but in my short time on forums like this I have learned that the people behind a crossbow are consistently pro hunting, regardless of the weapon, while at the same time anti's like good old ed are going to be a strong deterrent to any sport people like him participate in, especially when there is competition.
The sport of hunting could do without people like you ed.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I need to shoot my Pro Fusion so I can talk the talk and walk the walk,maybe I should put the house on hold and shoot..........the snow is just about gone and my 4 targets are by the door waitting.....
Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Good gracious . I am trying to be positive about Crossbows and getting slammed . Gosh , I just don't get it . Crossbows aren't just a thing of the past , they are a thing of the future also .
Folks are going to believe what they read and what they hear when they call a Company and speak to a Rep .
The article in the July WhiteTail Journal Magazine quoted Mr Snyder as saying " we're seeing a number of urban upper-echelon-management hunters who spend five to six days a week at the office and have had to give up archery because they're so busy and don't have enough practice time to become proficient with vertical bows . But , a hunter can zero in a Cross-bow in 30 minutes and be ready to hunt without having to practice for hours like he or she will with a long bow . Today people are so busy that they have the opportunity to go hunting , even if they havn't had time to practice to be proficient , the crossbow will meet their needs. "
When NY State legalizes Cross-Bows , I am jumping on the band wagon !!!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

I would like to thank everyone for there feed back, I appriciateit alot and I can assure you allfor what it's worthI would never take a shot past what I would normally do with amy bow, I was just curios if they really could shoot acuratly that far, I have never practiced past 40yards anyway because I have never shot a deer past 30 yrds most of my deer where less than 20. so I guess its the same asa bow the more you practice the betteryouget and brands mean nothing. cool
Thank you everyone.
John
Old 03-13-2007, 01:57 PM

I think any one that suggest shooting a deer at one hundred yards is clearly out of meds. The guy had to be talking about how accurate the CB is out to that range, but I bet if you ask him about talking that shot on a deer with that CB he would have to say no. A CB sounds like smacking a yard stick on a table as hard as you can. Maybe a 100 yard shot on a white tail would be OK, cause he would either have to be totally deaf and then the shot would be OK, or if he was a normal whitetail he would be able to hear it and move out of the way completely before the arrow arrived. I think long range shots with a CB is totally misunderstood. A CB makes way to much noise to be able to do much good on anything past thirty yards. Unlike alot of Compounds that are quite and can sneak off farther shots it simply does not work with a CB. As for the CB taking the long shots and being able to go out and kill alot of long range deer, check this link out and see what people are doing at long ranges. Look at past polls in here and you will see the vast majority of us say the 20 to 30 yard range with some saying 35. Here is a link that often shows we are doubled that all the time!

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2024906

With all that said, I will have to say scratch six and make it seven!![&o]

Old 03-13-2007, 02:02 PM

Also, not meant to be a bad thing, but I would assume by all the posters this was made in the regular forum and then moved to th CB forum right? Not a bad thing, just curious.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:35 PM

Yes, it started out in the Technical forum for compound bows. I want to add that I have nothing against cross bows. I have even owned one before, but didn't hunt with it. I may get another one in the future just for the heck of it.

After having both, I actually prefer a compound bow to the cross bow. Sure it takes a bit longer and a bit more skill to use one well, but once you get the hang of it and practice I feel they have more potential. Just my opinion though, and I will admit I have not shot a high dollar X bow. I had a 150 lb Barnett back in the mid 80's.

Like I said before, there are plenty of people that shoot out to and beyond 100 yards with regular bows as well. It does impress me that you can do it with a cross bow being that there is really nothing you can tune like on a compound bow. Makes the compound a bit more forgiving in my opinion, even though the skill level may be higher in the start.

I'm not going to argue that you could get a cross bow and probably get good with it fairly quick. I could shoot mine ok after about a week of shooting, as long as I knew the distance. Granted mine was not one of these new super fast models, but still they don't have that much range.

I entered some specs into my archery software to simulate a crossbow. I went with 375 fps and a 425 grn 22 inch bolt (22/64's dia).

Zeroed at 30 yards you would be 1 inch high at 20 yards and about 3 inches low at 40 yards. So this would give you decent flat shooting weapon out about 40 yards. That is actually fairly impressive to me.

Now to say you could practice for a week or so and then go deer hunting at 100 yards? Lets take a look at that. At 50 yards you would be 10 inches low but still have PLENTY of power to kill almost any living creature on this continent. I guess if you were good enough to judge the difference between 40 and 50 yards and could hold over 10 inches accurately it could be an effective 50 yard weapon. Travel time would be near a half a second, it better be a relaxed deer because they react really fast if they are alert. And like said, Xbows are not the most stealthy weapon you can use in the woods.

Now at 100 yards you would be a bit over 80 inches low. If you can hold over a deer sized target 6 ft at 100 yards I will be VERY impressed. And you better know the yardage down to the yard because there is a 10 inche difference in drop from 95 to 100 yards. If you can do this with less than a month of practice with that weapon you are one of the best shots I have ever seen. Not to mention time in the air would be a full second. And wind drift with a 10 mile an hour cross wind would be almost 5 inches. Probably more with larger fletchings and a fixed blade broad head. Still plenty of energy to kill game though providing you could hit it.

I am a pretty decent archer and I think I would pass on the 100 yard shot at game. Heck I am pretty picky about 100 yard shots with my H&R ultra slug gun and it groups 2 inches and is dead on at 100 yards.

Paul
Old 03-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Paul, I like your attitude. It smacks of intellegence and knowledge. Without question I find my compounds more accurate than a crossbow. My hunting partner needs small birds the size of starlings removed from his kennel area from time to time and I bring my Ultra Tech because I cannot nail them on the ground with my crossbow.
Thank you for adding to this forum rather than stirring.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 PM

That was a good post Paul! I vote we give him at least to atta boys!! LOL. Serious though, good post for a CB from a long bow shooter!! It's nice to see people out there with level heads!

Quick Reply: Cross Bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.