Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

To much of a good thing?

Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 AM

Default RE: To much of a good thing?

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

Mineral and salt licks sometimes do not work well in areas where thereare cattle. They getmineral and salt that is set out for the cattle.
??????????????????
I think what he means by this is that if you live where a mineral lick has never been set out it will work really well and attract lots of deer. But if you have a mineral lick in a area that has lots of farms and there is mineral lick sites set up on the farms for the cattle then they are common for thedeer and a hunter setting up one is not a big advantage for the deer since they have them from the farmers already.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Do not worry too much about travel about your place. The deer will come back. Minimize the target shooting on the place when deer season gets close. We have a target range on our place that we sometimes use. They usually leave for a day or two after we shoot but always come back. Mineral and salt licks sometimes do not work well in areas where thereare cattle. They getmineral and salt that is set out for the cattle.

We do have a feeder running 12 months. The deer do not eat nearly as much of the feeder corn in the summer. But the quail are always there camping out.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

Mineral and salt licks sometimes do not work well in areas where thereare cattle. They getmineral and salt that is set out for the cattle.
??????????????????
Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the salt lick thing on the 22 acres I hunt about 6 yrs ago didnt realy work do to the fact there are dairy and cattle farms all around me,or maybe it did alittle but not enough to notice......