Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Brace Height on new Excalibur Exomax

Old 03-07-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Brace Height on new Excalibur Exomax

Hello everyone,
I just picked up my new Xbow a few hours ago. Tomorrow I plan on posting a thread on my experience of setting it up and shooting it the first few times. But I have a question. I used the Crossbow Stringer that came with the accessory kit. At first it did not pull the limbs back far enough to get the string on the ends. I had to shorten the string between the Blue ends by about 4 inches to get the limbs back far enough to get the string on the ends. I see that there are two lines marked on the rail where the string crosses it at rest. My string is almost 1/2 inch behind (towards the trigger) the second line. I removed all twists in the string. No where in the instruction CD or in the Manual does it mention brace height. I assume that with two lines engraved on the rail, correct brace height would put the string between the two lines. Am I wrong? Will the string stretch that much with the first few shots, or did I get a short string? I have not shot the Xbow yet and won't until I find out about this. Thank youfor any help and information you can give me.
GNerol
Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Brace Height on new Excalibur Exomax

Having to shorten the stringer is likely normal I just had to on my new exocet. The two lines are for brace hight my directions said so. My exocet also was quite high to start with I took all twist out and it was still high so I used a different string for hunting; then I put that short one back on and started shooting targetit took about 60 or 70 shots to streach it now it is down to the mark closest to the trigger and I think thats about as far as it will go they must be making them a bit short. Lee
Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Your string shouldn't be that short. You should be able to have full range of adjustment for your brace height, and doing all that with twists in the string. Your string will stretch, but not far enough to do any adjusting.
Speed will decrease, you are limited to a short power stroke as well as having the string "parachute" due to it's lack of twisting.
Probably best to get another, if that string is new than you should be able to return it.

*edit* check your pm's
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

GNeral ....... I would always leave one twist in your string. Your string will stretch, not sure by how much though, I have heard different things from different people. It would also be fully stretched within 100 shots. Being that far behind the brace marks will not hurt your sow any if you shoot it, it will just lower your poundage a little (because your power stroke is shortened a little).

My advice is to shoot it and enjoy, see how it looks after you shoot it a while.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

GNerol, I seen either on the video or on Excaliburs website, if you have two lines for brace height, anywhere between the two line is fine.[/align]Good LUck[/align] Joe[/align]
Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice from all, just shoot it and it will stretch some.I use the FFF strings and they stretch like the dickens!! I purposely adjust them about 3/8" above the high mark before I ever shoot them. I'm not as finicky about brace height as some, but strive for 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" above the end of the rail, as that is claimed to be the "sweet spot" by the old timers on the Excal forum.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

GNerol, if you have a flemish string put several twists in string so the ends won't pull thru on you. Then just shoot it will stretch.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey Mike, if they are made right they won't pull through!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok, i just remembered my Excal flemish dacron[][:-][&o]!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

the first string i had with my exocet was pretty short too. it stretched some....but still not enough to allow me the full range of adjustment. i got a fff string and am very happy with it.