Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Moose

Old 02-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Moose

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Serrated blades are illegal in some places. Check the regs.

Question: Are serrated blades legal in all states and are they considered barbed heads?

Answer: Serrated heads are legal worldwide except in Ontario, Canada. Serrated heads should not be confused with barbed heads which refer to the rear edge of the blade. That edge cannot form an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule. In other words the rear edge cannot angle forward. Some newer heads on the market have forgotten this small detail and thier heads are illegal in many states and foreign countries.

Don, this is the reason why! The back Edge is less than 90* from the Shaft or Ferrule! It's not the serrrated edges that are illegal in Ontario, Canada ONLY, Not all ofCanada.Any broadhead that the back edges are less than 90* from the shaft or ferrule are illegal in Ontario, ONLY! We are talking about Canada not the US,I am doing a research on US now!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I found this for Pennsylvania.

Barbed Broadheads
[/align]Barbed broadheads are illegal for hunting big game. A barbed broadhead is one in which the angle formed between the trailing or rear edge of any blade and the shaft is less than 90 degrees. Broadhead examples on the right compare one that is barbed to three that are legal. Broadheads with retractable blades are legal. Broadheads with mechanical blades are legal if the blades DO NOT form a barb or hook when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of a deer or bear.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I found this for Oregon.

Archery
[ul][*]Broadhead blades must be fixed, unbarbed, and at least 7/8” wide (except for western gray squirrel). It is illegal to hunt with or possess mechanical or moveable blade broadheads when hunting game mammals except Western gray squirrel.[*]Beginning in 2006, there is no restriction limiting the maximum let-off for compound bows used for hunting in Oregon; since 1990, let off had been restricted to no more than 65%.[*]No device secured to or supported by a bow may be used to maintain the bow at full draw.[*]No electronic devices may be attached to bow or arrow.[*]No device that supports or guides the arrow from a point rearward of the bow string when the bow is at rest (undrawn) may be secured to or supported by a bow’s riser. Overdraws meeting this restriction are legal during archery seasons. [/ul]
Old 02-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Alright all you Crossbow hunters, you better Check the Regs for Restrictions on Broadheads. I have posted two, but there are to many to list!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

http://publicdocs.mnr.gov.on.ca/View.asp?Document_ID=10734&Attachment_ID=20631
Check page 9 under archery. "At a minimum bolts must have 1 22mm(0,87 in.) wide bolt head with at least two cutting edges that are sharp, unserrated, barbless, straight and made of steel."

Old 02-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

http://publicdocs.mnr.gov.on.ca/View.asp?Document_ID=10734&Attachment_ID=20631
Check page 9 under archery. "At a minimum bolts must have 1 22mm(0,87 in.) wide bolt head with at least two cutting edges that are sharp, unserrated, barbless, straight and made of steel."
OK,I read it, but it does notexplain why! The only reason that I believe it is illegal is the reason I have posted.

Is there a Serrated broadhead that the Back edges are 90* to the shaft and ferrule?

The Barbed I can understand, the two Cutting Edges I can understand, I would not consider a shaft with just a Chisel Point either,the Steel I can understand, heck I would not consider an Aluminum broadhead or Plastic broadhead either!

Hey, remind me to stay away from hunting in Ontario!!I like Alberta better.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Thats because Alberta is better. LOL! Gotta run! Later boys! Reb, keep Squirrel in line. I should post his cell number, LOL!
Old 02-17-2007, 02:19 PM

This is whats in Ohio's rules about arrow tips. If a guy did not read the fine print he could get into alot of trouble in some areas.

8. Hunt deer with a longbow having a draw weight of less than 40 pounds, or with a crossbow having a draw weight of less than 75 pounds or more than 200 pounds. Arrows for longbow and crossbow must be tipped with a broadhead not less than 3/4 inch wide. The arrow tip shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.